Menu
Jeanne1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor picture quality withTV anywhere on computer

TV on the go is unwatchable, I tried to watch a travel channel program today on my pc and it was so pixelated that I had to stop.

Doing a search on virgins help brings up zero about picture quality, it's as if they do not want to talk about it.

This is an anachronism, most people watch some TV on their computers and tablets these days.

This screen capture is supposed to be a colony of bees.

Virgin Media TV anywhere bees Capture.JPG

So Virgin Media, what are you doing to correct this situation?

And before you blame my picture quality on a cable or speed of the broadband, I have membership to Amazon Prime and Netflix and have zero problems with the picture quality with them, it's all in glorious 1080i.

J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor picture quality withTV anywhere on computer

Ok change the screen resolution to 720p and try again

To explain
The difference lies in how the display lines are scanned. While both resolution standards display 1080 vertical lines, with 1080i the lines are "interlaced" - meaning the odd-numbered lines are painted on the screen first followed by the even-numbered lines. With 1080p, the lines are displayed consecutively in a single pass, as opposed to the odd-numbered lines alternating with the even-numbered lines.
1080p delivers a picture that's smoother and cleaner. In fact, no HDTV standard surpasses 1080p in terms of picture quality. Furthermore, DIRECTV broadcasts in a 1080p format called 1080p24, which is optimal for movies, to give you a cinematic experience in the comfort of your living room.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you can tweak your screen resolution until the cows come home. it will not alter the fact that TVA only streams standard Definition 480p quality. and yes that looks absolutely crap if you are used to watching in HD.

there is nothing you can do about it, except go buy  blu ray discs  or download in excellent HD from pirate bay instead

oh, and use BBC i player for  BBC channels - set it to HD -  better quality than TVa

to be pedantic Netflix in most PC browsers e.g. Chrome  is capped at 720P . there is on that does 1080p but I forget whcih that is.

To get 1080p on computer is it best to use the free Windows 10 store  app 

Amaxon video is not great in PC browsers either, but it is 1080p on Roku, Fire TV, most smart TV / Smart Blu ray apps, and on Fire HDX tablet.

0 Kudos
Jeanne1
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Netflix and Amazon are 1080 in firefox and chrome. Great picture quality on both.

I would like to know when Virgin expects to come into the digital age, what we have at the moment is the equivalent of stone age tools being used.

I cannot find a Windows 10 app for TV on the go. Do you have a link?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you misunderstood me, or I was not clear,

there is a windows store app for Netflix , but not for TVa

there is no way to get TVa to stream in high quality - hence the suggestions to use other sources. Virgin will argue that it's a service designed for mobiles so SD is adequate. but Sky Go do it far better, so do BBC i - player

what channels are you wanting to stream ?

if it's live TV, to a laptop then maybe a USB freeview HD dongle if such things still exist 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T210-Television-Definition-Compatible/dp/B008D8K50Q

but an internal freeview HD aerial will only work if you live close to a transmitter / can get a strong signal-

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Jeanne1 wrote:

Netflix and Amazon are 1080 in firefox and chrome. 

NOT TRUE FOR NETFLIX - unless things have changed very recently

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3095259/browsers/confirmed-only-microsoft-edge-will-play-netflix-cont...

they are in 720p - but unless you have an uber-laptop, you only have a 720p screen anyway ?

If you want to watch true 1080p content on Netflix over your PC, you need to use Microsoft’s Edge browser.

On Wednesday, Microsoft claimed that its Edge browser was the only one of the big four browsers—which also includes Chrome, Firefox, and Opera—to offer 1080p resolution while playing Netflix content. A quick test of all four browsers by PCWorld proved this claim to be true, with the other three browsers capped at 720p....

you can test this yourself, there are secret button presses to display netflix streaming stats

http://qz.com/261426/the-hidden-commands-for-diagnosing-and-improving-your-netflix-streaming-quality...

....Control+alt+shift+D

That reveals a page of statistics about your video.....

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Since its inception, everything about TV Anywhere has been poor. Buffering, poor picture quality, a codec that can't handle multiple objects moving quickly & independently (such as your bees example, football being another), dropped frames, streams stalling, not enough capacity to cope with demand.

On a mobile phone or small tablet, the picture is passable. On a screen 13" or larger, it's a joke. About 18 months ago, the player's appearance changed, and added quality buttons that... do nothing at all.

You can only assume that Virgin Media are trying to protect multi-room revenue by making TV Anywhere so crap.

While Sky look to the future & bring a host of new TV features to the table with Sky Q, Virgin Media expect their customers to be excited by a poorly executed TiVo update with an apparently improved series link feature.