Menu
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Picture Quality

I don't know if it's a desperate attempt to try & fix the buffering & stalling issues that TVA is blighted with, but the image resolution on all channels of TV Anywhere (OK, well all the ones I have watched in recent days) has nose-dived terribly.

The best way I can describe it is that, quite honestly, everything looks like it is made out of lego.  That's how blocky the image is on a 19" screen.  The way it tries to render circles & diagonal lines looks like graphics rendered on a ZX Spectrum.

If this is an attempt to resolve the buffering/stalling issues, it hasn't worked either.  It's just another in a long line of massive steps backwards for TV Anywhere.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality

Hi Crockret, 

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time with TV Anywhere. This really isn't what we like to hear. 

All your reports for the buffering, I have passed along to the team investigating things and we have seen a huge reduction in the reports, which is great news. 

I've passed this feedback over too. 

Is the PC / Laptop you are using connected via Ethernet Cable or Wireless? When you pop the device into safe mode with networking, do you get the same result with the picture?

Let me know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is the PC / Laptop you are using connected via Ethernet Cable or Wireless? When you pop the device into safe mode with networking, do you get the same result with the picture?

I tried with both.  I even went to the significant trouble of completely reinstalling Windows in the hope it might fix things.  It didn't.  Safe mode doesn't improve things; in fact it makes it visibly worse.  At the times that TVA is playing up worst, and I switch to iPlayer in order to be able to actually watch something, I never have any trouble (and I'll always choose a HD stream if there is one available).  4oD, ITV Player, Demand 5, also all fine.

All your reports for the buffering, I have passed along to the team investigating things and we have seen a huge reduction in the reports, which is great news. 

It isn't great news to me!  On the increasingly rare occasion that I try to use TV Anywhere, I'm never able to watch a single show uninterrupted.  I don't accept that fewer reports necessarily equates to fewer problems either.  I'm sure there's plenty of users that simply can't be bothered to keep posting examples for months on end with no sign of improvement anywhere in sight.  I've just taken another 15 minutes out of my life to write this post, and am currently asking myself "why?"

I've passed this feedback over too. 

Well, the broadcast bit-rate didn't change by itself, so someone should already know.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Crockret, 

Thanks for a quick reply Smiley Happy

I really appreciate the additional information you provided and I'll ensure it's communicated back to the team which are investigating this for us. 

We completely understand this is more than frustrating for you and as soon as we have any news we will be sure to share it with you. 

Thanks for your patience, 

Speak soon. 

Heather_J

0 Kudos
tumi
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Kath

"we have seen a huge reduction in the reports, which is great news."

Just because you see a reduction in the number of reports on buffering etc, don't assume that things are getting better. I would offer another view point - people are fed up spitting in the wind!

Martin 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your input on this. 

We would never assume that the lower reports are becuase things are getting better. There are many other factors we take into account such as feedback, and internal tests. The number of reports are also taken into consideration. 

I cannot stress enough how important it is to let us know your examples where TV Anywhere is not working as it's meant to. If we don't get the reports, we can't pass the needed information along. I understand it's frustration but without the reports we can't follow things up. 

Please don't give up on us just yet Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Mobes
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We ARE letting you know on the main problems thread and there hasn't been a response from you guys in a while.

TV Anywhere has been un-watchable for days now!

Buffering

Repeating

Audio out of sync

Pixellating

Skipping

Pausing

Shall I go on?

From what I've read on your own forums its happening on most phones via the App and on Pc's. Over broadband, wireless etc.

You must have some idea what the problem is.

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So you dropped the bitrate, unnannounced, perhaps in the hope it might help the woefully underperforming TV Anywhere.  IT HASN'T WORKED!  In fact, the image quality is so poor, that the small print that some adverts are legally bound to display, cannot be read.  Doesn't this put Virgin Media in a difficult legal position when they are effectively pixelating out important information that should be included by law?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Crockret, 

Thanks for your post and apologies that things seem to be getting worse for you when using TV Anywhere.

Please post any examples you have of the issues here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/TV-Anywhere-Buffering-Issues/td-p/2852182

We've added all the previous examples I collected but this way the data is populated a lot quicker and therefore we're able to detect any trends and patterns etc. 

So far, we've seen that users using Firefox are seeing a worse quality of stream than those using Internet Explorer. We've also seen that there are some Channel Specific issues with Nat Geo Wild, More 4 and Horror. 

That's about as far as we go as far as an update is at the moment. If I hear any other news, i'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm using Internet Explorer, and never watch those channels.

0 Kudos