Menu
k100
Just joined
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

New tablet computer not supported!!

Just spent a frustrating and tortuous hour on the phone to a poor unfortunate lady several thousand miles away in Virgin Media land, after spending all day trying to connect my new tablet to VM's TV Anywhere. I say unfortunate because she has to deal with frustrated and extremely angry people like me all day, God help her.

The bottom line seems to be that my device isn't supported, even though it runs Kitkat 4.4 and I read earlier today (on Virgin's own site) that a tablet running Kitkat 4.0 and above IS supported (update: just checked: it says these are the "minimum requirements" - which is meaningless really if they're not fully supported).

Here's the page: http://tinyurl.com/nkb7qye

Great, thanks Virgin! Thank you so much! Brilliant! One of the main reasons for buying this was to use TV Anywhere.

I suggested she speak to her boss and get them to change the name from TV Anywhere to TV In-A-Few-Selected-Places. Not quite as catchy, I grant you, but definitely accurate.

There are only 13 tablets that are fully supported apparently; these consist of 5 Amazon Kindle Fire models, 2 Google Nexus models, 5 Samsung Galaxy models, and a Sony Xperia model.

If you've got any one of the dozens of other tablets available (hundreds, for all I know) then you're out of luck.

Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe the way I feel. Try 'angry beyond words'. No wonder Virgin Media deal with us poor suckers at a distance.

I'll be looking into other options. There are little set-top boxes in Asda that give you dozens of channels, and they only cost about 15 quid - a very healthy option considering my account is bleeding over £70  a month for this so called service.Long as I can get broadband from a proper supplier, I'm off.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: New tablet computer not supported!!

Hi k100,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to learn that your tablet doesn't work with TV Anywhere. 

Even though the device itself may not be fully supported, there are still things we can check with you to see what's causing the issue. As it's not supported, it just means we're not able to raise these faults up with IT. 

All other tablets are enabled to use TV Anywhere apart from those on the bottom of the link you gave us. Those devices are only enabled for Manage TiVo® only. 

So I can help you, what is the Make and Model of your tablet? 

Let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
gerdo40
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problem with my new tablet (I posted a request for help on the TV Anywhere forum). My tablet was running Kitkat and when I tried TV Anywhere I kept getting the message that it wasnt supported.

I have since upgraded to Lollipop and TV Anywhere now works fine.

0 Kudos
kenmca
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Kath, I forgot to check if there were any answers/replies to my post (probably bcos I was so completely cheesed off!). Only just saw your reply. Thanks for offering to help.

In the About section of the Settings, it's listed as Model number: BS1078, Android version: 4.4.2, Firmware version: v4.5-eng.wyl.20151012.155028, Kernel version: 3.3.0,yonesnav@wyl#82, Build number: fiber_bs1078-eng4.4.2KOT49H20151012, Processor type: QuadCore, SELinux status: Enforcing.

Most of that's Greek to me, or might as well be. Maybe it means more to you. I hope so.

I can't see a brand name on it anywhere. Apart from when it boots up it shows "Allwinner". Don't know if that's the brand or not.

Thanks again for helping, I could do with a hand Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi kenmca, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

Android devices need the app to work. Do you have a playstore on this tablet? If so try downloading the app from there. 

Once it's downloaded and you've signed in what happens? 

Let me know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
kenmca
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath!

I'd alread downloaded the app and tried it, but I've just tried it again in case it's working now.

The app opens up and I sign in. I see the list of channels. I select one and click 'Watch Now'. A dialog pops up, saying "Watch Now [and below that] Watch on TV [appears to be greyed out], and under that Watch on Phone".

I select Watch on TV. A dialog comes up immediately. It reads:
"Away From Home Network
[underneath]
When you are away from you [sic] home network. Some options are not available. [got the makings of a proper sentence there, but didn't quite make it!). To access all options, connect to the same Wi-Fi network as your TiVo DVR.
Two buttons below, OK and Connect

I click Connect. It takes a while ...

A dialog comes up, reading:
"No TiVo DVR has been found on this Wi-Fi network. Please make sure your TiVo DVR and network are working properly."
Two buttons below, OK and Need help?

I'm using the TiVo all the time and it's working okay. I'm also using the browser on the tablet and that's working fine.

Is there a way to make sure the TiVo is on the same network? That might be the problem, but I assumed they already were since I'm using them both. Maybe this is the problem, but I have no idea how to get the TiVo on the same network. Actually, the TiVo is running the signal from the broadband so it must be ...

No, hang on, the broadband is only for the computer isnt' it? The TiVo is separate. I'm confused. If they are separate I really don't know how to get the TiVo on the same network. And I don't know how I'm supposed to know this (if this is the problem, and the possible solution). Surely this should be explained to us?

Hang on, I've just tried the Need help? option. It takes me to a VM page that indicates I need to use a Powerline adapter ... no, hold on, two of them, one where the TiVo box is, the other where the Super Hub is. This is getting a bit ridiculous now.

Do I need to buy these adapters?

Any information gratefully received, Kath! Thanks for putting up with a non-techy guy who's a bit out of his depth!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You're not trying to watch a channel via mobile data (3G/4G) are you?

0 Kudos
kenmca
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ernie, I'm connecting with Virgin Media TV Anywhere, and then I'm trying to watch a channel. On my tablet. I don't even know what watching a channel "via mobile data (3G/4G)" means!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've re-read your previous post.

At the stage when you chose Watch in TV, choose Watch on Phone. Try channel 104.

0 Kudos
kenmca
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I've tried that Ernie. Just tried it again (mainly bcos I forgot what the result was!).

I get a dialog box popping up that reads:
Unauthorised Modifications Detected

Live TV streaming will not work if unauthorised modifications have been made to Android

Button below: OK.

If they think I've been making modifications to this, they don't know me very well. I can turn it on ... I can even download a few apps ... I can find Google ... that about covers it! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos