Menu
Highlighted
Daszer
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New sky player problems

Can anyone help????

Since downloading the new sky player on Windows 10 it's unwatchable. The sound is ok but the picture just shutters. I spent and hour on the phone to virgin yesterday and the conclusion they had that it was my pc.

I have a new HP envy x360 convertible AND A12-9700P.

If so how come all other virgin and By sport channels work flawlessly. Plus I never had this problem with sky sports before when it was watched through silverlight.

Can anyone give me some closure as I work away from home and use my laptop to watch a lot of the games and feel like I'm just throwing 85 pound a month away if I can't watch them.......

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jrperry
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New sky player problems

Rose

Could I please just point out that the problem being described here is a Sky Sports Desktop Player problem. The link you have given is for a possible solution to a Silverlight problem - but Sky Sports has not been available (at least to us VM customers) via the SkyGo/Silverlight route for several months now. Your advice, which I note you have repeated in several other replies to Desktop Player problems in the last 24 hours is therefore out of date and neither useful or helpful.

For those who may not be aware (and for those who were naively waiting for Josh's promise to advise the forum when there was an update available!), Sky have issued a new version of the player, dated 17/08/17. It can be downloaded from here

http://www.skysports.com/more-sports/news/34716/10698060/download-instructions

I would suggest uninstalling the old version of the player before installing the new one.

The new version of the player is clearly imperfect, for example (for me) it suspends and has to be restarted every 20 minutes. It plays out at about 10 frames per second, whereas the previous one did about two per second. It also stutters in both picture and sound about once per five seconds or so. I don't doubt that quite a few people will be having a worse experience of the player than I am, too! All in all, therefore, it remains a shoddy, unprofessional piece of software, but not quite as bad as before.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Daszer,

Thanks for posting.

I have added a link here with some suggestions and I would also recommend re-installing the app and checking your network connection for any problems.

Please let me know how you get on.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jrperry
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Rose

Could I please just point out that the problem being described here is a Sky Sports Desktop Player problem. The link you have given is for a possible solution to a Silverlight problem - but Sky Sports has not been available (at least to us VM customers) via the SkyGo/Silverlight route for several months now. Your advice, which I note you have repeated in several other replies to Desktop Player problems in the last 24 hours is therefore out of date and neither useful or helpful.

For those who may not be aware (and for those who were naively waiting for Josh's promise to advise the forum when there was an update available!), Sky have issued a new version of the player, dated 17/08/17. It can be downloaded from here

http://www.skysports.com/more-sports/news/34716/10698060/download-instructions

I would suggest uninstalling the old version of the player before installing the new one.

The new version of the player is clearly imperfect, for example (for me) it suspends and has to be restarted every 20 minutes. It plays out at about 10 frames per second, whereas the previous one did about two per second. It also stutters in both picture and sound about once per five seconds or so. I don't doubt that quite a few people will be having a worse experience of the player than I am, too! All in all, therefore, it remains a shoddy, unprofessional piece of software, but not quite as bad as before.

Daszer
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Exactly my problem it's just unwatchable and I'm fed up of it cutting off and then you have to sometimes sign out and sign back in again to restart it whilst missing 10 mins of a live game it ridiculous.

I've given up and went out and bought a tablet, ye it's a smaller screen but it's watchable
0 Kudos
MGB54
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Could I just agree with jrperry regarding the Forum teams suggestions to help with these sort of problems.
I've seen this advice over and over again - it doesn't relate to the problem because its advice is out of date regarding the new desk-top player. It doesn't use Silverlight any more !!!!
And quite right - the forum promised to inform us of progress with an update which they didn't do.

Sky have dumped this on us.
Virgin must have helped someone - but I don't know who (please prove me wrong).

Unfortunately, it has taken over a month for this very poor new version of the desktop player to be released - how much longer for the next.
dhutch1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To all having this problem.

I have emailed virgin media CEO Tom Mockridge about this problem. Hoping for progress!!!! 

alwaysabear
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please let us know how it goes.
0 Kudos
johnjohny
Just joined
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Rose_B wrote:

Hello Daszer,

Thanks for posting.

I have added a link here with some suggestions and I would also recommend re-installing the app and checking your network connection for any problems.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks Rose_B . I unstalled the old app completely and reinstalled. It works.

0 Kudos