Menu
george57l
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

New TVA app a disaster (for me)

1. When I switched from one tivo box to another (we have two) the app would default to Guide. Fair enough - often I would be going to mark something in the guide to be recorded. Rest of the time I wanted to go to My Shows to delete something I'd watched or see what was there to watch.

Now it defaults to this new-fangled What to Watch thingy. I do not want to know/be told/he helped re what to watch. I'm either going to watch something "on tv" (an old-fashioned concept, I know) or something in My Shows. I am a fully sentient user able to read a guide, find out (also using other commonly available info like trailers or newspapers) what may be around that I'd like to watch, and occasionally search catch-up/on-demand to find something. So please make What to Watch die/go away or (more seriously) be configurable to be hidden or at least NOT BE THE DEFAULT for when the app opens one of my tivo boxes' info.

2. My Shows now seem to have things listed that I already deleted. The list of My Shows (MS) is things I have stored up that I want to watch. If I delete them it is because I have watched them or no longer want to watch them. SO STOP SHOWING THEM TO ME IN THAT LIST. Please! The new Andrew Marr series (Sleuths, Spies, etc) has broadcast 2 of 3. I have a series link. I've now watched both of them. Deleted them both. But it is still in the MS list. I went in, saw both episodes, in a weird order (1: ep1. 2: show/series title. 3: ep2). Deleted ep 1. It just sits there not disappearing like a deleted show should. touched on ep2. Deleted it and message pops up asking me if I want to delete 'this streaming show'. What? Eh? Does not compute.

Please just make it all stop. Will not be upgrading on my other 2 iOS devices if this is what passes for an upgrade.

(time passes while I check out what I wrote and what the app is doing does reflect that)

Oh - so now the Andrew Marr thing opens in an 'all episodes' tab! Shows 2 episodes as noted above. Hmm, if these episodes are in my list of MS, well, yes, I do want to see all the episodes I've lined up/left stored. But what's this? A 'My Episodes' tab. Only has one of the Andrew Marr episodes. Cannot delete it. And lo! A "Recordings' tab!! Which says there are none but wittily tells me the other two tabs will show me episodes that are available to stream (but each of those two tabs shows different info!). Ye Gods. Just open the darn thing in My Recordings mode, like it did before. If I want any of this new stuff, I'll find it/go there. But worst of all when I go back to the 'home' MS list - there it still is, getting in the way, in my list of MS - the Andrew Marr thing, EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE NO RECORDINGS!!

MS should just be a list of my actual recordings. There ought to be an option to configure it to show only this if the 'designers' (ha!) really think the rest of this stuff is needed by someone.

OK - so that's all a bit of a grumpy old man rant. The serious point is that it was not broken but they fixed it. Adding new function is fine - if it is ADDED. Make it ADDITIONAL but do not break the interface and existing navigation. Do not make me learn a whole new interface/navigation route and have to go via a load of stuff I do not want simply to get to where I used to want to go and still do. Do not make the new stuff a substitute for what the user had before. Navigation that lets me use the app in the way I did before, to achieve they tasks I used to for before and want to continue with, is no longer possible. Design fail.

And if I have no recordings of a series do not clutter up my MS list with listing it, until the next one is recorded, when the series name should appear anew, as it did before, at the top of the list, with the latest, newly recorded episode.

0 Kudos
george57l
Tuning in
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: New TVA app a disaster (for me)

More feedback on the new UI design: The old one where My Shows 'folders' opened and closed by expanding and contracting on the same page according to touch, was a model of efficiency and effectiveness and was intuitive. The new one which opens a new page when a 'folder' is touched, then requires a touch on a wholly different part of the screen to get back to the MS list. It took me a minute or so to spot that little arrow in the top left hand corner, the first time I was dumped into a folder and wanted to get back, because it was so utterly different from the previous UI. So here are some questions for the team responsible for this app: - have any of you studied UI design? - why did you decide to make the new one deliberately more complex, less efficient and less intuitive? - was it a case of "we are employed here to develop updates so if we do not make lots of changes some of us will be out of a job so we must 'do something' and 'here is something, let's do it" I cannot think of any other good reason for this particular design change. Please educate me and provide a more credible one than above.
0 Kudos