Menu
Thommo14
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

More TV Anywhere app woes

So I previously had issues with the TV Anywhere app on iOS 10 where I couldn't access my recordings (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Cannot-access-recordings-using-TV-Anyw...).

Turns out my TiVo box chucked it. I got the box replaced and voila, I was able to access my recordings with the TV Anywhere app. Must've been down to the old TiVo box chucking it, I thought.

As of today, I can no longer access my recordings on the new TiVo box using the TV Anywhere app (on iOS 10.2.1). This is the exact same problem I had on the previous box and quite frankly, it's a joke.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app, rebooted all devices and have tried on three separate iOS 10.2.1 devices, all failing miserably.

Utterly fed up with this now.

0 Kudos
Thommo14
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: More TV Anywhere app woes

Anyone? Bueller?

This is poor stuff from Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thommo14, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having an issue accessing your recordings. 

In order to help you with this, can you let us know what is the error message you are seeing when trying to access your recordings? 

Does streaming work from the device? 

Come back and let us know so we can look further in to this for you. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Thommo14
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

When accessing My Shows on the TV Anywhere iOS app, an error message constantly appears:

Box Not Responding
Your box is not responding. Press "OK" to retry the connection.

Pressing OK results in the app trying again, but it never works. It is completely and utterly useless.

I have tried on three separate iOS devices, all exhibiting the exactly same behaviour.

TV Anywhere version: v4.0(949499)
iOS version: 10.2.1

My TiVo box (non-V6) is a fairly recent in that it replaced a failed one back in December. The TV Anywhere app worked fine when the new box was installed and I could access the recordings in My Shows without issue. Only recently have I encountered problems. Incidentally, this is exactly what happened on the previous failed box too (worked at first then started having connectivity issues with the app).

I have restarted and reset all network devices and also iOS devices too, but made no difference whatsoever.

It is incredibly infuriating because I regularly used the TV Anywhere app to manage my recordings and check my shows.

These kind of problems, with no apparent fixes on the horizon, are exactly why I have no plans to renew my contract. Not having a go at you guys who work the forums, just that Virgin really need to pull their finger out with this app because it doesn't work as advertised.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thommo14, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one Smiley Happy 

Usually this error message appears if the TiVo® is having a hard time connecting to the server and a simple reboot usually resolves this. 

When you are trying to access your recordings is there any difference trying inside the home on the same network, to trying outside the home on a different network? 

You mentioned you had rebooted the devices you have been using. Can you try turning the TiVo® off instead. Leave off for a good few minutes and then turn back on. Once the TiVo® is back up and running, is there any change?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Thommo14
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

On my network at home I simply cannot access My Shows on the TiVo box. When I try on my phone provider's network (not Virgin Mobile) there is a slight improvement in that the shows actually appear, but it's incredibly slow and eventually times out and results in the connection error previously mentioned.

I have turned off the TiVo as requested and left it for a good ten minutes, but it has made no difference whatsoever.

As advised previously, everything was working fine when the replacement TiVo box was installed, and indeed worked without issue up until recently. There have been no changes from my end, apart from the iOS updates.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thommo14, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this and I'm sorry this is no closer to being resolved Smiley Sad

The only thing left now is to try giving us a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111. The team can run through a few more options and if this don't resolve things, they can refer it up to the IT Team. 

Come back and let me know how it goes. I'd be interested to find out. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Thommo14
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

Spoke on the phone with a very helpful member of the team who, after checking with second line support, was able to advise this is a known problem (he also advised the issue had previously been reported).

Before checking with second line support, he was able to successfully replicate the problem by logging into my account. Unfortunately he advised there is no ETA for a fix (if one is planned), so we're left with these infuriating connection errors. Even checking the TV guide throws up them up, and then it's back to the start when checking what's on the box. It shouldn't be this difficult to check listings and recorded programmes.

Again, no frustration directed towards you guys, but someone needs to pull their finger out and get this app working properly.

Ta.

0 Kudos
Thommo14
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Seen that TV Anywhere was down for some apparent improvements over the weekend. Was hoping such improvements would include fixing the problem in my original post, but it's still broken and the app is as useless as ever as regards managing TiVo recordings.

Frustration increases.

0 Kudos
Thommo14
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just installed an iOS TV Anywhere app update and I can now access my recordings! Yas!

Another bonus is that the app now starts at the TV guide section.

Please don't break it again Smiley Happy

0 Kudos