Menu
Sappermajor
Up to speed
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

May be elementary question about TV Anywhere.

I am an XL subscriber 

I don't have a TiVo Box

The apps say you need  TiVo for them to work.

1 Can I watch TV Anywhere on my iPad if connected by WiFi, as Flash and Apple are incompatible. if so how?

2 I have a ZTE Blade V which is on the list of compatible devices but both Chrome and the Stock Browser just hang when I try to stream live TV. I have tried different channels. Am I doing something wrong or is it VM?

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: May be elementary question about TV Anywhere.

Sappermajor wrote:

I am an XL subscriber 

I don't have a TiVo Box

The apps say you need  TiVo for them to work.
It does

1 Can I watch TV Anywhere on my iPad if connected by WiFi, as Flash and Apple are incompatible. if so how?
If you had a TiVo you could use TV Anywhere. I don't know the tech. specs of the app for Apple devices, but however it is setup, it works. Someone else here with more experience of the TV side of things may know the specs. of the app for Apple devices.

2 I have a ZTE Blade V which is on the list of compatible devices but both Chrome and the Stock Browser just hang when I try to stream live TV. I have tried different channels. Am I doing something wrong or is it VM?
Only certain channels can be streamed by TV Anywhere, those streamable channels will have a WiFi icon next to their name.

+Add: The TV Anywhere Apps (Android/IOS) apps use their own rendering setup. It is desktops/laptops etc which need flash.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
clerom
Up to speed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you don't have TiVo you can't use the apps for iOS or Android. You can only use the online version of TV Anywhere www.virginmedia.com/tvanywhere

0 Kudos
Sappermajor
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.

Seems iPad is out as it doesn't run Flash.

I didn't know about the wifi symbol I'll try again with the Android Chrome browser.

Seems unfair to offer TV Anywhere but restrict the app to TiVo Subscribers  XL is expensive enough. Maybe the App uses the TiVo to verify the identity or something. Or maybe TiVo wrote the App.

Anyway thanks for your answers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The TV Anywhere app was originally and is still primarily for managing TiVo resources, such as series links and planned recordings.

It was extended to include channel streaming.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

The TV Anywhere app was originally and is still primarily for managing TiVo resources, such as series links and planned recordings.

It was extended to include channel streaming.

And therein, it would appear, lies the source of many of the problems.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Sappermajor
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all.

i now find that TV Anywhere requires Adobe Flash and from Ice Cream Sandwich  onward  Adobe has stopped supporting Android.  There are methods of side loading Adobe flash onto Firefox but it all seems too much hassle.

So Virgin are being disingenuous in listing phones which probably support the apps but whose browsers don't support TV Anywhere.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sappermajor wrote:

So Virgin are being disingenuous in listing phones which probably support the apps but whose browsers don't support TV Anywhere.

No mobile browser has ever supported TV Anywhere for streaming, and Virgin are upfront in the fact you need TiVo as part of your services to use TV Anywhere on a mobile device:

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/on-the-go/welcome.html

Exclusive to TiVo customers:

Introducing TV Anywhere - http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=5A4C2178-3613-4196-B0A4-BCAF5C6FA66A

TV Anywhere on your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android mobile and tablet, Amazon Kindle Fire and Fire Phone – just for TiVo customers

Technical requirements for using Virgin TV Anywhere - http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=9E966504-52D2-49F7-9EAB-8EBAF5B9F4FC

If you’ve got our TV service, you can use Virgin TV Anywhere on a Windows PC or Apple Mac to watch TV wherever you’ve got a broadband or Wi-Fi connection in the UK. If you’ve also got TiVo, you can use our Virgin TV Anywhere app on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android tablets and phones and Amazon Kindle Fire and Fire Phone.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Sappermajor
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your right, it's there, but they should call it TV Somewhere not TV Anywhere.
0 Kudos