Menu
hamiltonpruim
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Is anything as bad as Virgin TV Anywhere?

I am an occasional user of TV Anywhere, I haven't used it for about 7 months, maybe more. I'm used to Virgin's unbelievably poor web implementations, but really, this is shocking. 

The service used to work fine for me, no problems, now does it? Does it heck. After finding the service - for which anyone deserves a Top Sleuth medal - come on, Virgin, how difficult would it be to put a link on the top of some useful or intuitive page? No, why do that, put a link to a load of useless blurb and hide the live link at the bottom -  signing in multiple times as ever with Virgin - Chrome appears to be broken completely, 

OK let's try Firefox. Oh, look! Having registered in Chrome, Firefox thinks this computer is another device. I wouldn't swear to it (because that would actually mean Virgin implemented something useful) but I'm fairly certain it used to be by device rather than by browser. Not sure I want to have two registrations on the same machine. So...

Let's try Android. I have a Nexus 5 running Lollipop,I'm up for trying it. On the "help" (mwah hah hah) page it tells me the Nexus 5 is fully supported. OK, lets find it on Google Play. For whatever reason, can't be found on the phone, OK, use the desktop. Oh, look. "This application is not compatible with your device"  That's another fine mess you've made, Virgin. 

I assume that is because I am now running 5.1, which has been about for a while, but it is a pretty poor show. 

Program I wanted to watch is finished now.

Virgin, you took what was a passably good service and have buried it. I will seriously be looking at the options of moving.

Helpful Answers
hamiltonpruim
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is anything as bad as Virgin TV Anywhere?

OK, this link http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/Error-Code-329-Google-Chrome-Live-TV-Streaming/td-p...

Shows how to get Chrome running TV anywhere - be aware that you have to disable all bar the latest version of Flash in plugins - if you get a message after installation of Flash saying it is out of date, that means you have ANOTHER flash version that is active and needs to be disabled.

Still doesn't help with the Nexus

0 Kudos

All Replies
hamiltonpruim
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK, this link http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/Error-Code-329-Google-Chrome-Live-TV-Streaming/td-p...

Shows how to get Chrome running TV anywhere - be aware that you have to disable all bar the latest version of Flash in plugins - if you get a message after installation of Flash saying it is out of date, that means you have ANOTHER flash version that is active and needs to be disabled.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

hamiltonpruim wrote:

Sorry, but those instructions are very out of date, so I've flagged that thread to be archived. As of today, Google have release Chrome 42 which blocks all plugins by default including the full Adobe Flash. They will be removed completely in September 2015

Due to the version of Flash in Chrome it is not compatible with TV Anywhere. The only workaround is to use a supported browser.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos