Menu
andrewtorrance
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Internet Explorer 11 / Windows 8 - "unsupported device"

I have my phone (HTC One, Android 4.4) and laptop (Windows 8.1/IE11 - version 11.0.9600.17498 Update 11.0.15)

Recently, when I try to access TV Anywhere through Internet Explorer, I get the following message.

Live TV or On Demand Streaming Not Available

Due to rights restrictions, this device is not supported for watching live TV and On Demand.

For more information about the minimum requirements & supported devices, please click here, or click ‘Continue Anyway’ below (not recommended).

Continue Anyway

The page on supported devices doesn't have any specific details, apart from saying some things can't be viewed on phones.

This happens in both the Modern and Desktop versions of IE. Chrome on the same laptop works.

The sky sports website is fine.

Is there a specific reason IE11 is no longer supported?

Andrew

0 Kudos
andrewtorrance
Joining in
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Explorer 11 / Windows 8 - "unsupported device"

Actually it just got worse...

Originally I registered the device using the IE browser (when it worked)

Once it stopped working, I installed Chrome, the site said I was not on a registered device (I assumed due to the browser change), so I unregistered/re-registered.

Now logging into Chrome, the site is again claiming I am not on a registered device and need to change, but I have none left.

The only difference is that I'm in a different location but it's the same laptop!

0 Kudos
newcomps
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

chrome's no good either because VM dont support the pepperflash driver which is chromes own version of flash. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi andrewtorrance, 

Thanks for your posts and welcome to the forums Smiley Happy 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with streaming on your laptop. 

The device you are using, is this one of the new touch enabled laptops? If so try registering the device on Firefox. It looks as though you have one device change left to use so give it a go Smiley Happy 

As mentioned already, Goggle Chrome isn't supported due to the Pepper Flash. This link may help http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-Anywhere/Error-Code-329-Google-Chrome-Live-TV-Streaming/m-p/1...

Let me know how things go. 

Have a great Christmas! 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
andrewtorrance
Joining in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,
I can't try this at the moment as it has lost my laptops registration and I don't have any device changes left until January.

Can anyone from VM confirm why you stopped supporting IE11 (even in desktop mode). This definitely worked before as I had no other browser installed until recently.

Thanks
Andrew
MrAngryBromley
Tuning in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same problem with my touchscreen laptop running Windows 8.1. I spent over 2 hours on 28 December speaking to 8 different people via 150 and the last person I spoke to said they were receiving over 100 calls per day about this issue.

Unfortunately my phone battery ran out and we were cut off and so I have a rant on the VM Facebook Page on 29 December and had to submit a complaint via web link.

Firefox works in a manner of speaking but buffering is a big problem. I am probably going to return to Sky but will wait for a response first

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrew, 

We haven't stopped supporting Internet Explorer 11. This is working fine on a normal Laptop. It's only on tablet devices that it's not supported as it's a mobile device. You would need the app for the new tablet devices which i'm afraid we don't currently have a Windows app. 

On touch enabled Laptops, there is an error currently where TV Anywhere is confusing this with the new tablet which is why the error is produced. Using Firefox is just a work around whilst we work on getting this issue resolved Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi MrAngryBromley, 

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

Apologies for the issues you are having. 

It's down to the coding in the laptop that makes TV Anywhere think you are using one of the new Windows Tablets and not an actual laptop. 

It is something we are working on getting resolved although it may take a little while. Fire fox, as mentioned above, is just a work around for now to get you online and watching your Live content in the meantime.

We hope you don't leave over this but do understand you need to do what's right for yourself. 

We'll keep you posted on this issue if we get any updates. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
alovisi
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same boat with my Dell XPS 12.

Can we have a specific ETA to fix this please? This has been a known issue for some period now, and if Virgin Media want to raise prices for their services I expect a more agile support model.

Thanks.

John_Pickton
Joining in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem with internet explorer 11, with a HP touchscreen laptop.

I've tried to use FireFox, but then it claims the devise isn't registered. I have already made the devise change to this Laptop this month. Do I need another devise change, or is the problem likely to be something else?

0 Kudos