Menu
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don't have Network Remote Control on my Settings menu

Trying to connect Tivo box to Virgin wi-fi hub using wireless adapter. But Network Remote Control is not on my Settings menu. Adapter is plugged into USB port on Tivo and I have rebooted the box. What next to try?

I am doing this because using the Tivo remote to enter text is a total pain - I need the keyboard on my phone.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: I don't have Network Remote Control on my Settings menu

What adapter are you using? You can't use a USB WiFi adapter with Virgin Media TiVo. You have to use a ethernet based adapter, even if it then converts the Ethernet connection to WiFi.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes it's USB. Where does Virgin tell me what adapter to use? There is no relevant help anywhere that I've seen.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Amphibian59 wrote:

Yes it's USB. Where does Virgin tell me what adapter to use? There is no relevant help anywhere that I've seen.

Here:

Connecting TiVo to your home network to use the Virgin TV Anywhere app as an advanced remote control

0 Kudos
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No, that page is about using a Powerline adapter. Nothing about a wi-fi adapter.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The page referenced by Ben does mention the wifi adapter method of connection:

You can also connect using a smart TV wireless adapter which enables Internet-ready HD TVs to connect wirelessly to your home Wi-Fi network.

This is the method I use, with a Netgear WNCE2001. This device connects to the Ethernet port on TiVo and takes its power from the TiVo USB port.

0 Kudos
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes it mentions wi-fi, but where does it say how to do it? Where does it say what type of adapter? Before buying the adapter I checked what ports the Tivo had. What's the use of the USB ports?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Amphibian59 wrote:

What's the use of the USB ports?

Nothing official. You can connect a USB Keyboard to the TiVo box but that is unsupported. For networking connections you must use the Ethernet connection.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Amphibian59 wrote:

Yes it mentions wi-fi, but where does it say how to do it? Where does it say what type of adapter? Before buying the adapter I checked what ports the Tivo had. What's the use of the USB ports?

It does tell you to use 'a smart TV wireless adapter'. Some investigation (perhaps even on here) would have led to you using the correct adapter.

0 Kudos
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

'A smart TV wireless adapter' is exactly what I have. I don't expect to have to trawl through forums to find out what that means. However I repeatedly searched for guidance here and elsewhere and found nothing useful. Again, where on Virgin Media's various pages does it say anything about an ethernet enabled wireless adapter?

Well no need to respond, treat that as a rhetorical question! ): I have the answer now and we are getting rattled.

0 Kudos