Menu
grandabear
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I am in hospital long term and cant access firefox or IE on the hospital broadband service. Is

Hi guys I am knew to the forum and need some help. I am in hospital long term and the hospital broadband only uses google chrome, I cant get access to IE or firefox to get use of the tv anywhere service on VIRGIN. This is driving me nuts as I am missing out on all the football while I am in hospital. Does anyone know a way round this problem please? I would be grateful for any help. Thanks,

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am in hospital long term and cant access firefox or IE on the hospital broadband service. Is

Hi grandabear, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are unwell. 

Goggle have recently disabled the use of third party add ons with their browser meaning that TV Anywhere won't work on Chrome. There isn't a way around this anymore i'm afraid. 

TV Anywhere would only work with Firefox or Internet Explorer. 

What device do you have? If it's a Mobile or Tablet then you can use the TV Anywhere app instead.

Let me know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am in hospital long term and cant access firefox or IE on the hospital broadband service. Is

Hi Grandabear.

I have an option for you to be able to do this, however it will require you having a PC online at your home 24/7. You will need to start off by installing google's chrome remote desktop.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/remote%20desktop?hl=en

Install it on the PC at the hospital (if they'll let you), and you'll need a family member to set it up on chrome at home. Register your home PC on virgin anywhere. Then on the hospital PC load up chrome and browse to the apps, click on remote desktop, click your home PC and run firefox/IE on the home PC. NOTE: You will need to allow it to share your screen the first time round at home, and then every time after that it should be fine. Setting up a pin to connect to your PC every time is recommended. Also, use a fairly strong password for your google account!

I know this may be a bit hard to understand if you've never done a remote desktop before, but what it will basically do is stream your home PC's screen to the hospital computer's screen. You will remotely use the home PC as if you were sat right in front of the machine itself. I'd recommend turning the speakers down (off / or unplug) at home, as they'll blare sound out when you're watching videos etc.

I have tested this at home > to home (laptop streaming my desktop) and it works fine, so factors like your internet quality and speed will play a major role in this working or not.

You'll need decent bandwidth I think for this to work, anything under 5-7 down megabits will most likely struggle. Likewise you'll need 5-7 megabits up at home.

You can test it at speedtest.net (both ends).

And apologies if I get a slapped wrist for showing how to do this. It is a technical work-around, albeit a bit of a faff.

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!
0 Kudos