Menu
davorg
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Here We Go Again :-(

Got my new Nexus 5X last week. It's running Android 6 (Marshmallow). I realised over the weekend that TV Anywhere hadn't been installed as part of the set-up process (which is supposed to copy all the apps from my previous phone).

Opened the Play Store and found that TV Anywhere isn't compatible with my new phone. Presumably because I'm running Marshmallow.

Did the Virgin Media development team learn nothing from last year's Lollipop debacle? Google make development versions of their new operating systems available to dev teams for a reason - so apps can be ready for users as the OS is released. Most companies seem to realise this. My phone is packed full of apps that have been updated to work with Marshmallow. But not TV Anywhere.

Last year it took months before VM made TV Anywhere available for Lollipop. Are we going to have to go through the same nonsense again this year? When will TV Anywhere work on Marshmallow?

Dave...

@davorg
Former Cable & Wireless and ntl customer
Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Here We Go Again :-(

It's not down to Marshmallow itself - other devices have updated to Android M and can run TV Anywhere:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/Android-M/td-p/2927018

It's specifically an issue with the 5X and 6P - as mentioned on the Technical Requirements page:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=9E966504-52D2-49F7-9EAB-8EBAF5B9F4FC

NOTE: TV Anywhere is not currently compatible with the Google Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. We are working on an update for these devices.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's not down to Marshmallow itself - other devices have updated to Android M and can run TV Anywhere:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/Android-M/td-p/2927018

It's specifically an issue with the 5X and 6P - as mentioned on the Technical Requirements page:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=9E966504-52D2-49F7-9EAB-8EBAF5B9F4FC

NOTE: TV Anywhere is not currently compatible with the Google Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. We are working on an update for these devices.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
davorg
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information. Hope these problems can get resolved soon. Other streaming apps don't seem to have any problems.

@davorg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi davorg, 

Thanks for your post and apologies that TV Anywhere is not working with your device. 

As mentioned by BenMcr already, TV Anywhere does work with Android M. 

What's causing the issue here is the screen density size of your device isn't recognised by the app. We'll need to do an update for these devices to work and we are already working on it for you Smiley Happy

Once I have any news, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys, 

Great news, it seems we've updated the app now so you should be able to use the device with your Nexus 5x and 6P. 

Make sure you update the app first through Playstore and then try TV Anywhere again. 

Let me know how you get on Smiley Happy

Thanks, 
Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
davorg
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks, I've downloaded and installed it on my Nexus 5X. Should streaming be enabled? I can't see an obvious way to watch live TV.

Cheers,

Dave...

@davorg
0 Kudos
davorg
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ignore me. I've found it. I assumed that the BBC channels would be included.

@davorg
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi davorg, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this Smiley Happy

The BBC Channels are unavailable but they can be watched via the BBC iPlayer app.

If you have any other questions about TV Anywhere, post them here and we'll come back to you Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos