I am unable to watch TV anywhere on my computers. When I try and go into the Device Settings, I get an error Device Could Not Be Detected, and no devices are listed. I am using Internet Explorer version 11 on Windows 7, as well as Microsoft Edge on a Windows 10 machine and am getting same error.
The Device Settings screen shows that I have changed 1 device 2 days ago, but this is simply the same time when I tried to use it on the first laptop which was previously in use last watched a few months ago, so its likely referring to the same laptop where it does not allow me to watch.
I have tried clearing history from both IE as well as Chrome just in case.