Menu
thomasb73
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Device Detection Timed Out

Trying to register a PC to watch on demand content whilst in the office, which has a wired connection.

When I select any programme to watch, I get a message - please wait while we detect your device and a loading icon.  After a short time, this changes to - Device Detection has timed out.

I've mainly been trying this in IE9, but have also tried firefox, chrome & safari with the same outcome.

I've also tried clearing my browsing history, cache, etc, but to no effect.

I'm hoping that it is a case of some setting that just needs to be changed?

No problem watching films on sky cinema, itv hub, demand 5, etc, etc.

Only recently switched from Sky to Virgin and never had any problems watching sky go on the same machine...

Hopefully someone can help.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Device Detection Timed Out

Hi thomasb73, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having a new face on board with us in the Community. Smiley Happy 

Apologies to hear that your device isn't being detected. This is usually down to the flash player. 

> Make sure you are using Internet Explorer or Firefox as Chrome is not supported. 

> Double check to ensure your browser is completely up to date. 

> Delete the Adobe Flash from your device and then re-install fresh.

> Make sure you've deleted the cache, cookies and history to ensure the browser is clean. 

> Log back in to TV Anywhere to see if this has helped. 

Come back and let me know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
thomasb73
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath_F

Thank you for your response.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled adobe flash player, cleared the cache etc and tried again using IE 11, but unfortunately got the same Device Detection Timed Out message.

Anything else I could try?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi thomasb73, 

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how things went after trying my suggestions. 

As none of this has worked, can you try on a device away from the office? Sometimes depending on the network settings, there will be a restriction stopping you. We've found this in a few cases where a work's connection is being used instead. 

Let me know how things are when using a different connection. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
snewport
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

i have the same problem with firefox i reinstalled adobe but still get the same problem also cleared the cashe and so on.

I have checked on IE but and it work but asked me to register another device which is bad as it is the same laptop and if they cannt make the system stable they should enable more changes

any thoughts?

Thank you

Stephen

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy

I think we need to start all the way at the beginning as if TV Anywhere has never been used before. 

Open either Firefox or Internet Explorer and go to anywhere.virginmedia.com > My Profile > Device Settings and delete the device from the 'My Registered Devices' section. Can you also delete the cache, cookies and history on your browser.

Once you've done this, restart the PC / Laptop by turning the power off and back on. We're also going to restart the TiVo® by turning the power off and leaving off for 5 minutes. Turn it back on and allow to full set back up.

Go back to the PC / Laptop you are wanting to use TV Anywhere with and open up the webpage again. Sign in using your primary account details and go to the channel listings and select Channel 4 > Watch Now. This should then prompt you to register the device. Follow the prompts on the app and this will register the device for you and streaming should then commence Smiley Happy

Let me know what happens at this point.

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos