Menu
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Could "device" recognition be changed to refer to actual devices?

Every so often I get the message saying that your software has recognised a new device. It hasn't. What it has done is recognised either a new browser or operating system on the same device. I believe "device" should refer to a particular piece of hardware, not some item of software running on the device.

I have a device which is running several operating systems: Windows-10, openSUSE 13.2, Leap 42.1, and Tumbleweed at the moment. So, according to your weird definition of "device", I have four devices on that device. But I haven't finished. I generally use a couple of different browsers on each OS, each of which registers as a different "device", so that brings the number of "devices" on one device to eight! If I were to add in the number of other possible browsers I have installed, I could easily have a score of "devices" on one device!

I have six physical devices but only a couple of these are likely to be needed to be registered. Could you ask your software people to come up with a sensible way in which a person could register two such physical devices and not be prompted every so often to register your pseudo-devices?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Could "device" recognition be changed to refer to actual devices?

Hi Cloddy, 

Thanks for your post and it's a great question. 

Currently the error stats it's a new device and we're aware this is often due to a change in browser or OS. 

My advice would be to keep one OS / browser for TV Anywhere otherwise you'll be using up your device change for the month when swapping between them. 

I will pass your feedback over to the team but it's unlikely the wording will change as the coding is the same for each instance. 

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
bgajunkie
Just joined
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree with you about what should constitute a "device". As with many other device registrations - why not use a device-generated token based on use of the actual device mac address. This would be a fixed device identity, irrespective of the OS, browser or other software installation.  It works in other forms for secure access, like banking apps, PC network access etc.

0 Kudos
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just received an e-mail from VM to say someone had just replied  to my posting. Presumably they're referring to your excellent and intelligent reply from 'a week ago'. Good to see that VM are on the ball as ever. Not!

0 Kudos
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Could someone from VM please (a) answer this query and (b) get it sorted? Now we have the ludicrous situation where I can't watch Sky Sport because I'm over the limit. Needless to say, this is incorrect and down to third-rate VM software.

0 Kudos
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"No answer" came the stirring reply.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Cloddy, 

Thanks for your post and it's a great question. 

Currently the error stats it's a new device and we're aware this is often due to a change in browser or OS. 

My advice would be to keep one OS / browser for TV Anywhere otherwise you'll be using up your device change for the month when swapping between them. 

I will pass your feedback over to the team but it's unlikely the wording will change as the coding is the same for each instance. 

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, Kathy, and I should apologise for not commenting here before now that this had been answered in another thread, http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/Problem-registering-device-for-Sky-Sports/td-p/3074...

It appears to be that the problem software is Flash and Silverlight. As I suggest in that thread, I've heard that Adobe and Microsoft will drop support for these so a switch to HTML5 would seem to be in order.

It's all fun and games remembering which browsers to use with which service as Chrome is the preferred option for Amazon Prime due to its backing of HTML5 whereas VM advise against it so I use Firefox for that. Ah well, it's all part of life's rich pageant.

Cheers.
Graham
0 Kudos