Menu
motel
Up to speed
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can't watch Sky Sports or Sky Movies fullscreen with dual monitors

I would've though that moving to the sky site to stream sports and movies would be a good thing and end the constant problems (stuttering, replaying etc) with streaming skysports on tv anywhere.

Instead, it is a big downgrade due to the fact that sky use microsoft silverlight to stream their content. It is now not possible for me to watch skysports in fullscreen on one monitor while continuing to work on the other.

Unlike other sites that use microsoft silverlight, like netflix, sky have not enabled the option to allow you to select the stream to stay in fullscreen mode. This has been going on for years and I believe is a very simple fix.

I believe that for people using the skygo player there is a kind of workaround. However for us virgin media plebs, we are left with a downgrade of service and instead of improving our service, a key function has been taken away.

It's just shocking in this day and age that the media companies that we pay billions too cannot provide a fully functioning service that people illegally streaming can get for free.

frontfoot
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't watch Sky Sports or Sky Movies fullscreen with dual monitors

I am experiencing this too. I hate watching sports in a little window.

Seems that sky have been aware of the problem for over 2 years but have said they have no plans to fix it!!

0 Kudos
motel
Up to speed
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Bump. Is there at least a line of communication between yourselves and sky so that you can attempt to put some pressure on them to fix this? Like I said, it's an easy fix for their programmers.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi motel, 

Thanks for your post. 

I'm afraid this isn't something we would really be looking at as most residential pcs have a single monitor. Dual monitors would be unsupported. 

I'm not sure what Sky are doing with regards to this. Maybe something you could take up with them? 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
motel
Up to speed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So it's a case of 'tough luck', enjoy the downgrade of functionality.

I use my laptop while streaming to an external monitor. I'm sure there are many others with a dual monitor setup. Flash and HTML5 content is fine and allows the stream to stay fullscreen. Like sky, Netflix and BT use Microsoft Silverlight. Netflix and BT have enabled the option for the stream to stay in fullscreen mode.

Sky in their infinite wisdom haven't provided this 20 second fix. They don't even listen to their actual skygo customers so I doubt they'd give a damn to what I say.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go/Sky-Go-Use-Silverlight-Fullscreen-Pinning-Mode/m-p/317493

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go/Silverlight-Fullscreen/m-p/155636

Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I do pretty much the same motel. 

I stream Netflix on one monitor while using the PC for other shenanigans. I don't see why Sky don't have this functionality but unfortunately It's out of our hands. I'll pass the feedback along but as you've said, their own customers have been feeding this back for a while. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

frontfoot
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Bah guess noone will be doing anything about this and since the virgin rep says its not important as not enough people use 2 monitors Smiley Sad

I only have sky sports so I can watch them on my pc while doing other stuff. Since thats no longer possible I'll have to remove sports from my package Smiley Sad

spike1968
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Agreed frontfoot.... seems pointless having sports or movies if you can't stream it properly whilst working.....

I have six screens and often stream for my daughter while i work, she loves sitting next to me while I work watching a film.

Unfortunately since the move to skygo it's not an option anymore. Why can't virgin just go back to streamin over their own system as it wasn't that bad and its better than skygo.

If I wanted to use sky systems i would subscribe direct.

Its like being forced to fly Thomas Cook when you have booked to fly Virgin.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

spike1968 wrote:
Why can't virgin just go back to streamin over their own system as it wasn't that bad and its better than skygo.

Virgin Media can't just do what they want with a channel, it has to be in agreement with the broadcaster. In Sky's case this means that for streaming access it is through the Sky apps and website.

If Virgin Media hadn't agreed to this, worst case would be that Sky could have withdrawn all streaming access, rather than extending it to iOS and eventually Android.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
bobthewidget
Just joined
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I know this is a super old thread but this was driving me mad, then an idea.

Just zoom the browser in and move the video to the centre of the screen.

Mine fits my second screen perfectly at 250% and the quality is perfect.

0 Kudos