Menu
ian_rae
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can Virgin Media tell what a device is?

I don't think so.

I can tell my devices since I can hold them and look at them. I know that my "win 10 PC" is in this room here under my desk since that's where it's always been. I know that my iPhone is my iPhone since it's always been my phone and it has all my stuff on it.

Apparently Virgin Media think that these devices are different now. Look the same to me :-)

Oh yes, they have has some updates applied but they are the same device.

So what needs to happen to my device for Virgin to think it's different?

Annoyed Ian

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can Virgin Media tell what a device is?

Ian major updates (from win 7 to win 10 to win10 anniversary ed to name but two). The  same for android devices and iOS devices (new iOS 10 update). This therefore needs the device to be removed and readded sadly. I have the same issue with my BT in the car!

0 Kudos

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ian major updates (from win 7 to win 10 to win10 anniversary ed to name but two). The  same for android devices and iOS devices (new iOS 10 update). This therefore needs the device to be removed and readded sadly. I have the same issue with my BT in the car!

0 Kudos
ian_rae
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So my iPhone upgraded from iOs 9 to 10 this week. I sort of get that could count as a "major upgrade" so one change this month.

My windows 10 PC had some patches applied. It's still Windows 10.

So how do I know which updates are major enough for Virgin Media to get confused or not? Apart from trying that is. Also, as I say I know that they are the same device so why is Virgin Media so sensitive and unforgiving?

0 Kudos
severnbore
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Being allowed to have two devices assigned to use ANYWHERE.   You would think it would be a simple matter.  That is the mac address.

So it wouldn't matter what version of windows you have, whether you have reinstalled or updated.  Or in my case, prefer to use Windows i.e. rather than Firefox. Same applies to mobiles, tablets or whatever gizmo you use.

Whatever the piece of Virgin magic to ensure we don't share our ANYWHERE with ANYONE too frequently etc, we simply don't know what TIME LIMITING \or monitoring it is.

redeverready
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've had the same issue with the windows 10 update no longer a registered device that's crap enough. So re-registered went though the new microsoft edge browser as recommend by Virgin technical page. Alas when you come to Sky sports or Movies these won't run and Edge arghhh. So tried it again on Inter explorer that now says I've used all my device changes up after registering on edge. 

0 Kudos
dpjohnston
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

J0hn wrote:

I have not used NOWTV for several months. Since then I had upgraded my Nexus 5X from Android 6.0.1 to 7.0 by completely wiping it and flashing a factory image. When I reinstalled NOWTV on Friday, to take out weekly pass to watch Ryder Cup, it recognised my phone as same device I had used before with no issues. As I have said before on many threads this is the sort of service we get from rival companies. Virgin should be aiming to be at least as good as this but ideally should be aiming to be better. In comparison with many other similar apps TVAnywhere is amateurish.