Menu
Bob5
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Browsers that work

Do any browsers actually work for both Virgin & the redirected Sky site ??

As it is I've tried the suggested browsers, Safari- Virgin works but not Sky, Firefox- Virgin works but not Sky, Microsoft Edge- Virgin works but not Sky, IE- Sky works but not Virgin. I've been using Edge for Virgin & IE for Sky but using different browsers on the same laptop required the use of 2 Device slots which seems ridiculous. Now that my brother is using a device slot I have the choice of either Sky or Virgin.

Bob.

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Browsers that work

IE11 works for both. Today, at least!

Flash (for Virgin) and Silverlight (for Sky) should be installed & up to date.

0 Kudos
Bob5
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Everything is up to date, Skysports works on IE11 but I can't try Virgin channels because it wants to reregister the device again even though it's the same browser on the same machine. Having registered my brother's device I don't have another slot left, even when I get the opportunity again next month it will still require 2 device slots for 1 browser on 1 machine, so registering the device again for Virgin will mean I'll have to lose the skysports side, it's ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There are two TV Anywhere slots and two slots for Sky devices. So you can have two devices that can access both, and you should be able to register IE11 in one slot for TV Anywhere and one slot for Sky.

The reason it needs two slots is that Flash and Silverlight are different technologies, in addition to the Sky apps and website being mostly run by Sky with access for Virgin Media customers. So the device slot systems are separate.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, hopping from one browser to the next looking for one that works can eat up your device allowance/changes in no time! You'd think they'd put this most elementary information about which browsers work & which don't as a sticky at the top of the page. Instead we have info that is nearly 3 years old & wildly inaccurate.

So you need an extra Virgin device slot. Get on live chat, or phone up & they'll probably grant you one. Or, wait until Saturday when your device changes are reset & you can register then. 

"even when I get the opportunity again next month it will still require 2 device slots for 1 browser on 1 machine"

So long as you stick with IE11, you should be OK. Sky sports devices are managed separately from TV Anywhere devices. So you can have two devices registered on each service, and they don't even have to be the same two devices should you choose.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

deleted
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos