Menu
Jstroud52
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Browser compatibility

Virgin Anywhere is now seemingly incompatible with every browser available. Due to Chrome dropping support for NPAPI some time ago I've since been using Firefox, but now they've followed suit I'm left with very few options. Firefox now requests a Silverlight installation that I already have, despite repeated reinstalls, and Edge/Opera both tell me I'm using Chrome when I attempt to access anything. What am I supposed to do about this? A service I am paying for is now unusable.

Thanks,
Jo
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Browser compatibility

TV Anywhere can be used on IE11, Edge and Firefox on a Windows PC, and Firefox and Safari on a Mac.

The Sky Cinema and Sky Sports websites can be used with IE11 on a Windows PC, and Safari, Firefox and Chrome on a Mac.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Jstroud52
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid that isn't currently the case. As explained, in Firefox I'm being prompted for a Silverlight installation that's already there and worked fine last week, while Edge is giving me the Chrome error message. Do you want me to provide screenshots?

Jo
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

tv anywhere works fine in IE and safari for me. so i'm going to guess its a problem with the plugin on your TV rather then the service.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Jstroud52 wrote:
I'm afraid that isn't currently the case. As explained, in Firefox I'm being prompted for a Silverlight installation that's already there and worked fine last week, while Edge is giving me the Chrome error message. Do you want me to provide screenshots?

Jo

Firefox 52 removed all support for Silverlight when they removed NPAPI support. The only 'plugin' that still works with Firefox is Flash.

So now you have the following situation:

Firefox - Flash, no Silverlight
Chrome - Flash (but not a full version), no Silverlight
Edge on a Windows PC - Flash, no Silverlight
IE on a Windows PC- Flash, Silverlight
Safari on a Mac - Flash, Silverlight

On a Windows PC this means that only IE still supports Silverlight needed to the Sky websites, and is the only browser that can be used across both sites.

On newer Macs (OS X 10.9 and later) Sky have released a Desktop App instead of the Silverlight Player. This means that is a separate program it can be used with Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

The Sky Desktop Player isn't available for Macs running OS X 10.7 or 10.8, these still rely on the Silverlight Player. So on those Macs, it's Safari that's the browser that works across both sites.

The Sky Desktop Player also isn't yet available for Windows PCs, although Sky are working on it.

I appreciate this is complicated, but both Sky and Virgin do know this and are working to make browser choice simple again.

Jstroud52
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. I'll have a look at this again later, but given that everything worked days ago and I haven't made any updates to my machine I'm not sure the problem is at my end. Firefox have just dropped NPAPI in the way Chrome did months ago, Sky even gave notification that this would be the case.
0 Kudos
Jstroud52
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Simultaneous response there Ben. I'll try with IE again later but I can't get too far with it as I'm on Windows 10.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

IE11 exists on Windows 10 and works exactly the same as it does on earlier versions - it's just that Microsoft would much prefer you use Edge.
0 Kudos
Rs101
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You can also use the extended support release version of Firefox on Windows. That includes Silverlight support (and will do for quite a while).
0 Kudos
Jstroud52
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both. It's working fine on this ESR version of Firefox but still no joy with Edge. I'll try and sort out IE11 tomorrow.
0 Kudos