Menu
tjmack
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Blocking jailbroken devices on TV Anywhere

Just tried "watch Now" on TV Anywhere on a jailbroken iPad iOS8.4  and I got a message saying something like, "unauthorised change to OS detected...bugger off"

So ok, perhaps not the last bit, but you get the drift.

What's the rationale behind it?  Will it work if I re-register the iPad on my devices?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocking jailbroken devices on TV Anywhere

Hi tjmack

Thanks for posting on the community.

Sorry to hear that your unable to watch TV Anywhere on your iPad.

Due to the device being jailbroken TV Anywhere will not work due to the iOS' authenticity.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tjmack
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Forgive me, but so what?

What difference does  it make to VM (never mind Apple) if I'm running an unofficially patched OS on any of my iDevices?

T.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The most likely reason is that the right's holders to the programme want to be sure that you can't grab what you are watching from your tablet because of unauthorised changes to its OS. So VM have to prevent jailbroken tablets etc from accessing TV Anywhere.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
tjmack
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I guess cos of the 'live' nature of the broadcast?

0 Kudos
Plastivore
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There are several things that can explain this move. Now, bear in mind that I don't fancy DRM mechanisms at all, as I find them particularly counterproductive.

It think it's simply to avoid the possibility of recording the stream on your iPad, to then make copies that could end up on the Internet.

Another thing would be to avoid mirroring the screen using AirPlay (or anything else that could allow you to get the picture on a TV), as to try to get you to rent another box if you were to want to watch it on another TV.

Now, I agree that chances of someone doing that are very limited, plus I would imagine that there would be some other ways of doing these things anyway, but that's the way it is at the moment.
0 Kudos