Menu
MPH1979
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Best powerline for WiFi boost

I'm struggling to get a decent signal in one area of my house, what's the best powerline product to get to achieve this? And do they work well in boosting the signal well?

Thanks
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best powerline for WiFi boost

they don't actually "boost" what they do is carry the broadband signal  from a powerline wired into hub via your mains wiring,to a more distant distant matching one,

at the far end, a powerline+wifi enabled box can broadcast a new wifi SSID for you to connect to.  and any pair labelled  av500 or higher is plenty fast enough. Only one of the pair needs to be a with-wifi device.

the actual speed depends on the quality of your mains wiring., and on whether both ends are on the same ring main

MPH1979
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for your reply, so let's say for example if I purchased the Netgear Powerline WiFi 1000, and plugged it in the part of the house I'm struggling to get a signal would it carry the signal to that particular area ?
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MPH1979 wrote:
Hi thanks for your reply, so let's say for example if I purchased the Netgear Powerline WiFi 1000, and plugged it in the part of the house I'm struggling to get a signal would it carry the signal to that particular area ?

you mean this ? http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/PLW1000.aspx

yes - that is a matched pair of devices so it should be ideal. plug in one next to the hub and the other where you want the signal. plug them diirect to  wall sockets, not via any anti-surge extension sockets, for best results. 

once you have a working pair you can add extra ones in other rooms if needed. they should all talk to each other

the setup for wifi can be a pain if you want to set your own name & password, rather then the defaults - but carefully follow the instructions & you should be OK - I've used solwise, not netgear, and i had to connect one to an off-line PC as a one-off ,to re-program it . if you just go with all the defaults it shoudl be simple plug ans play.

MPH1979
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's the one I was looking at. Thanks for all the information, you've been a great help.

0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Would I be correct in thinking that my signal would be improved if I added another basic Powerline 1000 in addition to the two I already have, ie, I have one plugged into the router, and another plugged into the TiVo box in a bedroom. What I am trying to achieve is a better signal in another bedroom. So would just adding another Powerline 1000 achieve what I am after ?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your query Enduser,

To avoid any unnecessary expenses, it may be worth Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless channel first to see if this provides an improvement for you?

Failing this, you can certainly try testing an additional Powerline. I believe most also provide a warranty with these sales, I know we do. Smiley Happy

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nat_J wrote:

Many thanks for your query Enduser,

To avoid any unnecessary expenses, it may be worth Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless channel first to see if this provides an improvement for you?

Failing this, you can certainly try testing an additional Powerline. I believe most also provide a warranty with these sales, I know we do. Smiley Happy

Nat_J

Nat ~ Many thanks for your reply and suggestion.
0 Kudos
jonniu
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I've been reviewing this conversation as I have recently got my hands on a Netgear PowerLine WiFi 1000.  Below is a copy/paste of a previous conversation. Please note the bold sentence.  I'm interested in the receiving end of the adapter pair.  When you say, 'you can add extra ones'  is that extra pairs?  Or is it possible to plug the 'receiving end of the adapter pair' into an Access point or hub or even another router?  I'm thinking the latter option will enable multiple devices to benefit from the 'receiving end of the adapter pair'.  Or can that 'receiving end' only connect via an ethernet cable to one device at a time?

Thanks in advance for your response

you mean this ? http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/PLW1000.aspx

yes - that is a matched pair of devices so it should be ideal. plug in one next to the hub and the other where you want the signal. plug them diirect to  wall sockets, not via any anti-surge extension sockets, for best results. 

once you have a working pair you can add extra ones in other rooms if needed. they should all talk to each other

the setup for wifi can be a pain if you want to set your own name & password, rather then the defaults - but carefully follow the instructions & you should be OK - I've used solwise, not netgear, and i had to connect one to an off-line PC as a one-off ,to re-program it . if you just go with all the defaults it shoudl be simple plug ans play.

0 Kudos