Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6 (105 Views)

BT Sport add-on showed on TV as £6/mth .... but got charged £18/mth

On 10 Mar I used the TV to add BT Sport to see the APT Tennis in Indian Wells. During subscription it said something like ..."£6 for the month, then continues at £69/year". So I assumed I was being charged £6 for a month ... until 09 Apr, and as long as I cancel before then I would just be charged the £6. I rang on 15 Mar to cancel and was told that was done OK.

However ... I got my monthly bill yesterday and see I have been charged £6 + £18 = £24. So spoke to Customer Services and she said it is £18/mth for BT Sports, and the £6 is for the part of the month 10 Mar - 19 Mar, and £18 is for . But no way would I have subscribed £18, sinc it clearly said £6 on the TV screen.

Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6 (92 Views)

Re: BT Sport add-on showed on TV as £6/mth .... but got charged £18/mth

OK, I know the answer to this now having had a Customer Services guy clearly explain it. apparently the first screen says £18/mth and next screen shows £6 being the partial charge for the period up to the billing period. Confusing if you don't spot it :-)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6 (77 Views)

Hi JontyW, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with the billing on the account. 

BT Sports is charged at £18 per month so the £6 would of been the pro rate charge. I can see since posting, you have called and gotten things resolved. 

You'll see any changes reflected on your next bill. 

If you have any further issues pop back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6 (71 Views)

Hi Kath_F,

After further consideration I still do not fully understand what I am gong to be charged in total for BT Sport, so please could you clearly state how the charging is done. I think part of the problem is that I don't understand how the "prorated charge" works for a one add-on that is then cancelled.

Here is what I did:
10 Mar - subscribed to BT Sport
15 Mar - called Cust Service to cancel after the one month (assuming that would cost me £6 for a month's usage)

17 Mar - received monthly bill (period 10 Mar - 19 Apr) which showed "Charges for services added - BT Sport (10 Mar - 19 Mar) - £6". Why is 19 Mar shown as the end date ... where did that come from? I notice that previous bill was for period 20 Feb - 19 Mar, so this is probably where it came from?

- it also showed Your Package for period 20 Mar - 19 Apr, BT Sport £18, since that is billed in advance

19 Mar - rang Cust Services again to ask for explanation and was told "since BT Sport is already shown as cancelled, you will get a £19 refund in next bill". So i will have been charged £6 + £18 = £24, and a refund of £19 will mean I've had BT Sport for just £5 for one month?
- is that correct or what am I missing here? There should not be any more ongoing charge since it is now cancelled .. please confirm.

PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS CONFUSING PAYMENT SYSTEM !!!!

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6 (55 Views)

Kath_F,

Please reply to my last posting ..... thank you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6 (36 Views)

Hi JontyW,

Thanks for coming back to us about this.

We always charge a month in advance for services, therefore, the pro-rata charge applied would be from the point that this service was added. E.g., 10th March. You were charged for the part-month that you had the service from this date onwards up until your billing date, plus the standard £18 for month in advance charge for the channel between your billing dates (20th March - 19th April as mentioned in your post). Therefore, adding BT Sport from March 10th, would indeed incur a £24 fee (£6 for part-month and £18 for one month in advance).

If you proceeded to cancel the channel within the billed month, you would then receive a pro-rata credit back. Basically, this means that you would therefore only be charged for the period that you had the channel. As you pay a month in advance, you would've already paid for the service for a whole month (£18), but as this was cancelled part-month, you would be owed the part-month charge back. The £18 would be broken down to refund you for the days over charged. Hope this makes sense?

I've sent you a private message so that we can discuss this a little bit more specifically in relation to your details.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos