Menu
HUGH_EFFO
Up to speed
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

App crashes when selecting channel

Hi

I can't watch any channel from my phone. The phone is registered, and I can log in. But when I select a channel to watch, it starts to load, then the app crashes, and it takes me back to the channel select screen.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but it still crashes.
My phone is a Google Pixel XL running Android 7.1

I am not a white Hat Hacker, nor a Black Hat Hacker, more 50 shades of Grey
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: App crashes when selecting channel

Hi HUGH_EFFO, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're unable to watch any channels via TV Anywhere currently. 

Android devices launched with OS version 6.0 or later may receive the error message ‘Unauthorised Modifications Detected’ which will prevent the app from opening. It can also cause other errors such as the one you've mentioned where the app crashes. We’re already working on bringing the app to these devices as soon as possible.

In the meantime you will be able to use TV Anywhere on a PC / Laptop via the website or on a support ed device. 

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
HUGH_EFFO
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info.

would it be possible to clear the two registered devices I have at the moment as both of them are on android 7.1. (Pixel XL and Nexus 9)

I have tried watching TV anywhere via the Web on both the Pixel XL and Nexus 9, and am getting the message "this device is not optimised, please download the app"

If I can't watch TV anywhere using the app, why can't I watch it on my devices via the website.

It seems as anyone who has an up to date Android device, is being punished for having the latest technology.  Strange how the issue does not effect Apple Devices,  Perhaps Apple is paying you to not update the app for Android, so more people buy an Iphone.

currently 24.3% of android users are on version 6.01 or above.   That's nearly a quarter of all Android users cannot use the TV anywhere App.  (This includes the most popular Android phone out there at the moment The Samsung S7, S7 Edge.)

In fact most of the Android phones you currently sell on your Virgin Mobile website comes with at least Android 6.01 pre-installed, and none of these will work.

I gather this issue has been going on for some months now, with no resolution in site.

Google is no longer going to support any Version of Android less than Marshmellow, and will not be releasing any more security patches, for Lolipop or below.

So to watch your TV anywhere on a mobile device, I now have two choices.

1. Use an unsecure and outdated version of Android

2. Spend £700+ on an Iphone.

I dont own a laptop and would like to watch Virgin when I'm out and about.  The only other device I have is an amazon fire HD 10.1.Will the TV anywhere app work on this device.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi HUGH_EFFO, 

Thanks for popping back and keeping us up to date on this. 

We're not able to remove any registered devices. You will need to do this yourself however it is easy Smiley Happy

Go to anywhere.virginmedia.com > My Profile > Device Settings. Next to the devices just click the delete button Smiley Happy

As long as the tablet complies with the technical requirements then you should be good to go Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
HUGH_EFFO
Up to speed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The specifications do not mention anything about Amazon fire devices as it's running Fire OS 5.3.1.1.

I have removed both the android devices, that are on Version 7.1, but I cannot add the Amazon tablet, as I get the message "Sorry, you don't have any available changes to register this device"

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hugh Apple do pay some networks for their apps to be fast tracked and as they position themselves as the very top of the tree you would expect them to do this sort of stuff, if they do it with Virgin I've no idea but would not be surprised
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi HUGH_EFFO,

I'm sorry that you haven't been able to register your device for TV Anywhere.

I have added a device change back onto the TVA server for you, so you can try to register your Amazon Fire device again.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
HUGH_EFFO
Up to speed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The Amazon Fire seems to work ok.  But I would really like to get it working on my Pixel XL Phone.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi HUGH_EFFO,

Thank you for your message, we appreciate the cooperation so far. 

As mentioned previously, versions higher that 6.0.1 aren't supported currently, this is likely to change but we have no time for this as of yet.

Many thanks.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
HUGH_EFFO
Up to speed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update

Just downloaded and installed Android Version 4.0-961463 of the TV Anywhere App from the Play Store, and can confirm it's fully working on my Pixel XL running Android Nougat 7.1.

I don't have Sky Sports, so can't test if the Sky app is working as well. 

Hopefully this should now work ok on all Versions of Android.

Regards

0 Kudos