Menu
darrenc86
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Another day, another TV Anywhere problem!

I'm not even annoyed anymore, the TV Anywhere/On The Go service is laughable! It is comfortably the worst excuse for a 'product' I've ever come across. If it was the same issue reoccurring then at least it would make some sense, however the sheer volume of completely different issues that Virgin manage to produce without rectifying is astonishing.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another day, another TV Anywhere problem!

...and yet you don't describe your issue to see if anyone can help.

0 Kudos
darrenc86
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Very helpful of you.

The comment wasn't a cry for help, more an acknowledgement and acceptance that the TV anywhere service, although free, is astonishingly unreliable. So much so that it's actually a surprise if it works when you want it. As mentioned in my original post if it was a case of troubleshooting one problem then yes I'd have certainly given a more detailed description. But in fairness what sense is there is doing that when in the last 6 weeks alone I've experienced any number of issues. "Perhaps it's a problem with your setup" I hear you cry... not so, in this same 6 week period I have tried accessing VM via:

- different accounts
- different laptops
- different connections, wifi, Ethernet, 4g

The frequent comments on twitter also highlight how these issues are not reflective of any issues with my setup, and entirely the fault of an incredibly poor user experience and an unwillingness by VM to deal with it in any consistent and reliable way.

So, whilst yes in this incident a detailed breakdown of the problem may have encouraged a few more responses, I already know the issue was entirely a VM issue, and something their engineers worked on for the next few days.

The only conclusion I can come to is that VM don't particularly value the product. But I do value it. And given this difference of opinion I'm unsurprisingly exploring alternative options. Free or not, in my overall experience VM is nowhere near worth the money.
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

darrenc86 wrote: The only conclusion I can come to is that VM don't particularly value the product. But I do value it. And given this difference of opinion I'm unsurprisingly exploring alternative options. 

In truth, it is probably something that VM feel they have to provide as Sky provide it, but given Sky have more of a commercial interest in streaming (namely Now TV), it's not an area VM can really match.  Wouldn't surprise me if streaming on Anywhere was dropped in the same way SmartCall was earlier this year.    It will probably morph into a service that will allow you to access your TiVo box and its recordings which is essentially all it can do via Chrome.

For Netflix, Amazon, TV Player, Now etc. it is something they charge for, so they have every incentive to get it right.  The BBC are obliged to provide a good service and UK PLAY TV, ITV, 4 and 5 all have plenty of advertising to make it worth their while. I can't say how good the Sky equivalent is as I have never used it..  

0 Kudos
severnbore
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I pay £100 a month for internet connection,  TV package and a landline\which is hardly used, so hardly call it FREE.    For the convenience in my home etc I use ANYWHERE on a laptop in my work room, it's convenient & the laptop small.  But like you say, and I totally agree the VM experience is dreadful.

Whether it's buffering, repeating, or simply not working.  It can go down for days.  Eventually you decide to phone & most times, no one is aware of the issues.  The issues can be something to do with the programmes, or as often is the case the subscription\sign in saga - which wipes out your rights to sign in more than once a month.  What I didn't understand this time around, is being put on FIREFOX as the PREFERRED browser,  on the SAME lappy I couldn't use Windows ie, why?  would have thought the mac address was capture for the purpose of monitoring computer\account swapping.

My other grievance is, isn't usually necessary to log on to VM & access your programme, about 10 minutes in advance!  since you never know how much buffering, clicking and clicking you'll need just to get it started.  Then you wait & hope that what you are about to see, isn't off - with NOT AVAILABLE on this platform.

As a diagnostic tool of ANYWHERE verse connectivity, I merely access ITV or BBC players, if they work, then it's not the browser, not connectivity. It must be the ANYWHERE service.

Since I sat down tonight,  it's so far stopped twice in the last hour and is currently loading something... oh, looks like the TV listing, so I've lost the programme again.  Still  better to be kicked off than have the frustration of an hours programme over-running by 7-9 minutes - that's a lot of buffering.