Menu
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Android App question - Which version?

For iDevices there is a clear split point; phone users get the phone app whilst pad pad users get the tablet version.

I'm just wondering where the split-point is for Android users? In other words, at what screen size will I get the actual tablet version and not the phone version?

(I know it's larger than 7" as my old Nexus 7 has the phone version.)

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
dave2660
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Android App question - Which version?

I asked a similar question when the app was first launched as I was very disappointed to see the phone version on the UI on my Nexus 7. At the time I was told that if the screen size was over 7 inches then it was classed as a tablet and would get the tablet UI, anything smaller would get the phone version.
Unfortunately that's not entirely true. I currently have an ASUS Memo Pad 8, which has an 8 inch screen, although is the same resolution (1280x800) as the first gen Nexus 7 that I had previously, and I still get the phone version of the UI.
It could be that the cut off point is a combination of screen size and resolution, and not just screen size alone. However, as the tablet you are looking at is the same screen size and resolution as mine then I suspect that it would get the phone version of the UI, which just looks terrible on a tablet.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi TivoFan, 

Thanks for your post and apologies it's taken a little while for anyone to pick your thread up. 

I can confirm it's based on the screen size as well as the resolution. Most screens under 9' will have the phone based UI. 

Hope that answers your question Smiley Happy

We're here if you have any further questions. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
baldpaul147
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Pretty sure it's the same actual App for both phones and tablets rather than a different version for each but it does present a slightly different UI depending on screen size. Can't say what the actual cut off point is but my Nexus 9 (with roughly 9 inch screen) has the tablet optimised UI as opposed to my Moto X Play (5.5 inch screen) which has the phone UI.

0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

baldpaul147 wrote:

Pretty sure it's the same actual App for both phones and tablets rather than a different version for each but it does present a slightly different UI depending on screen size. 

Yes. This is what I meant. I realise it's the same app Smiley Very Happy Sorry for the confusion.

Can't say what the actual cut off point is but my Nexus 9 (with roughly 9 inch screen) has the tablet optimised UI as opposed to my Moto X Play (5.5 inch screen) which has the phone UI.

Thanks for the info. Can someone with an 8" tablet tell me which version they get as I'm looking at the Archos Xenon 80c as a possible replacement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I asked a similar question when the app was first launched as I was very disappointed to see the phone version on the UI on my Nexus 7. At the time I was told that if the screen size was over 7 inches then it was classed as a tablet and would get the tablet UI, anything smaller would get the phone version.
Unfortunately that's not entirely true. I currently have an ASUS Memo Pad 8, which has an 8 inch screen, although is the same resolution (1280x800) as the first gen Nexus 7 that I had previously, and I still get the phone version of the UI.
It could be that the cut off point is a combination of screen size and resolution, and not just screen size alone. However, as the tablet you are looking at is the same screen size and resolution as mine then I suspect that it would get the phone version of the UI, which just looks terrible on a tablet.

0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Oh ... bother Smiley Sad

I suppose I could get a bigger table then but shouldn't really have to.

Can I get an official comment from anyone from Virgin Media?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi TivoFan, 

Thanks for your post and apologies it's taken a little while for anyone to pick your thread up. 

I can confirm it's based on the screen size as well as the resolution. Most screens under 9' will have the phone based UI. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi TivoFan, 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I have to say that I'm disappointed in that but can sort-of understand it. However, I have decided on a 10" tablet anyway Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Aren't most screens under 9'?  Assuming you must have meant 9" Smiley Tongue

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

2016-04-08 19.20.29.png

Well the good news is that, as you can see, my new Archos 8" Tablet (Xenon 80c) is good enough to get the proper tablet interface. 

The bad news is that it won't stream because the app thinks it has "unauthorised modifications". Which means that Archos has done something to the OS Smiley Mad

Of course neither company will know how to fix it so I guess I'll have to either not have any streaming or get something else. Except that, looking on the list, there aren't any 8" tablets on it Smiley Sad

Should have known it wouldn't be so simple!

2016-04-08 19.21.16.png

0 Kudos