Menu
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 150
Flag for a moderator

Android 5.0 Lollipop compatibility

I have just updated my Google Nexus 10 tablet to the latest version of Android, 5.0 Lollipop.

While reinstalling my apps I noticed that the Virgin TV Anywhere app is now listed as "Not compatible with your device" on the Google Play Store. I'm assuming this is because the app hasn't been upgraded for the new OS, or at least the OS version flag hasn't been updated on the app. Cat Tongue

Do any of the moderators know if there's a timeframe for the TV Anywhere app to be updated so it is compatible with Android 5.0?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
shammyowens
On our wavelength
Message 51 of 150
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Android 5.0 Lollipop compatibility

This is quite frankly ridiculous.

Can someone from VM please inform me/us how we can escalate our concern.  Clearly the forum posts aren't taken seriously, I appreciate that you are getting updates from another team, but someone really needs a kick up to backside. 

All Replies
paradoxum
Joining in
Message 2 of 150
Flag for a moderator

You can download the .apk file for TV Anywhere using an .apk downloader site (google it), then transfer the file to your phone and install it, that's what I did on my N5 with KitKat.

However, my phone can't find the TiVo box on the network - is it because I am rooted, does anyone know?
0 Kudos
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 150
Flag for a moderator

I'm not particularly keen on loading old .apk files, ever since I had trouble with Spotify as a result. Just some kind of reply from Virgin saying they're working on it would be nice... :-(

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 150
Flag for a moderator

Hi piphil, 

We did release a communication at the beginning of November to advise that Lollipop is not compatible currently. See it here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/Android-5-x-Lollipop-amp-TV-Anywhere/m-p/2537319#M...

We are planning an update for the Android app however there is no release date as of yet. Once we have any news we shall let you know Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 5 of 150
Flag for a moderator

Ok, Android 5 (Lollipop) has been just been released for general use. However the preview developers version has been out for months. Why can Virgin not get their app ready in advance so that it's available for Lollipop on customers phones/tablets.

That is why Google has a developers version out in advance.

I just do not understand.

It was the same when KitKat came out.

Saying it is on it's way is just not good enough these days.

I have Lollipop on my Nexus 7 but cannot use TV Anywhere !!!!!!!

piphil
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 150
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, that's not particularly promising.

Sticking up a notice of this sort on the forums is a bit like putting a notice in the proverbial locked filing cabinet in the disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".

Maybe a push notification to app users might have been useful? Not sure if it would have stopped me updating to Android 5.0 (which is a brilliant update, especially on older devices like the Nexus 10), but it would have appeared more organised.

As fergiet says, Virgin's app team should be a bit more on top of this. Virgin TV Anywhere is the only app out of dozens I regularly used before the upgrade that now doesn't work. The BBC seem to have managed to keep their iPlayer app up with no outage period. Even Catchup TV works, despite their current browser-based difficulties.

I understand that, with the exception of a few Motorolla devices, that Android 5.0 is only on "Nexus" branded devices, but it's not as if Nexus devices are exactly super rare. Sure, not as many devices as Samsung et al, but there's a fair number out there, and they'll be running stock Android.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm not impressed, which is a shame because in general Virgin have been very impressive since I've recently returned to their services. </rant>

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 150
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F wrote:

Hi piphil, 

We did release a communication at the beginning of November to advise that Lollipop is not compatible currently. See it here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/Android-5-x-Lollipop-amp-TV-Anywhere/m-p/2537319#M...

We are planning an update for the Android app however there is no release date as of yet. Once we have any news we shall let you know Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

It would help if that announcement was actually on the forum where everyone can access it to read it.

If anyone actually tries to find it without clicking on the link above you will never be able to find it as the link does not exist to normal users.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 150
Flag for a moderator

Look just because we could never ever see it doesn't mean it didn't happen....

I'm pretty familiar with forums and nope, cant get that post to display except by using the direct link NOW provided

But as inferred above that makes US the idiots..

Izza
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 150
Flag for a moderator

So a month on from the announcement and still no working app for Lollipop, not very good is it.

Can anyone offer a good reason for this please?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 150
Flag for a moderator

Hi Izza, 

Thanks for your post. 

We were hoping to have the update released by now but i'm afraid there are other bugs and updates we're having to fix in the same update. 

We're working on the last few niggly bits now and hope to have it released soon Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos