Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_A

Error Code 329/Google Chrome/Live TV Streaming

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

We've been taking a look at all your feedback and posts on Error Code 329 and believe we have found the cause and solution to this issue. If you are experiencing Error Code 329, then can you please read through and follow these steps which will hopefully resolve your issue.

Firstly, Google Chrome is not recommended because Google’s default Flash plugin (Pepper Flash Player) is not supported for watching Live TV. Only Flash Player 11.4.402.287 is supported on PC and Mac, not Pepper Flash Player.

I’m not using Google Chrome though?

Unfortunately, if you initially registered your computer using Google Chrome (with Pepper Flash Player), then all browsers on that computer thereafter, regardless of what version of Flash they are now using will be unable to play Live TV because Pepper Flash has been registered, not Flash Player.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** We Recommend you do not use Google Chrome ***
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steps To Fix This Issue (not using Google Chrome)

Step 1. 
Delete the device that is erroring from ‘Device Registration’ in
Settings

Step 2. 

Ensure you are using a supported browser, either IE 7+ on Windows, Safari 5+ on Mac, or Firefox 14+ on both.

Step 3.
Download & Install the latest version of Adobe Flash here:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Step 4. 
Ensure you are using one of the above recommended browsers that do use Adobe Flash Player (not Pepper Flash Player) and:

-       Restart it after installation of Adobe Flash

-       Log back in to TV Anywhere at http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/

-       Register the device again

Steps To Fix This Issue (if you are using Google Chrome)

No other browser available or you have to use Chrome?
You need to disable Pepper Flash in Chrome.

NB.  Google Chrome update their Browser silently (you will not be notified). Each time this happens, Pepper Flash Player will be returned as their default player and each time you will need to follow the below steps to use Google Chrome:

Step 1. 
Delete the device that is producing errors from ‘Device Registration’ in
Settings

Step 2. 
Download & Install the latest version of Adobe Flash here:
- http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Step 3.
Restart Google Chrome

Step 4. 
Locate the Pepper Flash Player plugin:
-       Open this URL in Google Chrome:  chrome://plugins/
-       Expand “Details” top right
-       Scroll down until you get to the section: Adobe Flash Player

You will see a list of Shockwave Flash players.  One will be PepperFlash, another will be Flash Player.

Step 5. 
Disable the ‘Pepper Flash Player’ plugin

To locate, the PepperFlash will contain:
- Type:  PPAPI

An example is below:
  Location:   /Applications/Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/23.0.1271.64/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlash/PepperFlashPlayer.plugin

Type:   PPAPI (out-of-process)

- Disable this version.

Step 6. 
-       Log back in to TV Anywhere at http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/
-       Register the device again

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Mal16

Re: Error Code 329/Google Chrome/Live TV Streaming

I have tried to remove my device-a notebook- to disable google chrome and update with a new version. However I am unable to as each time I go into settings all I get is a message  popping up saying pepper flash player is not supported and I cannot get it removed to delete the device. No matter what I do I cannot get into settings to manage or remove the device. Any help would be appreciated .

Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_A

Hi Mal,

Have you tried deleting the device from a different browser such as Internet Explorer?

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Codehook

This 'fix' is not working for me. I have tried in IE9 (64-bit), FireFox 18.0 (32-bit) and Google Chrome 25.0.1364.36 beta-m (32-bit). I am running Windows 7 x64.

As you can see in this picture, my Chrome flash player plugin settings are as they should be:

http://i.imgur.com/I84p06K.png?2

Pepper flash player is disabled and Flash 11.5 r502 is enabled. I know this is definitely true because Virgin TV Anywhere was telling me to disable Pepper Flash player before, and no longer says that. Yet I still get error code 329 when trying to stream anything, no matter what channel it is, on my primary device (desktop computer).

Before installing the latest version of Adobe Flash Player I closed down every single browser window on my computer, and after installation I tried each browser individually. All of them produce the same error 329.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_A

Hi Codehook,

I wonder if this will help resolve the issue? You can also try this which helped another user.

Thanks

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Codehook

[ Edited ]

Kieren, I tried both of those suggestions (cleared all my flash player data, and turned off Protected Mode).

I even uninstalled flash player and verified it was uninstalled by using websites with flash that told me to get flash after I uninstalled it.

I then reinstalled an earlier version of flash player (11.2) and still no luck in Internet Explorer (still code 329), even though Virgin TV Anywhere did re-download and reinstall the DRM module.

I tried doing the same in Google Chrome and I got a slightly different result...originally it just hanged on "Loading..." indefinitely with the loading circle still going around on Virgin TV Anywhere (the bit before it usually errors with code 329). But after restarting Google Chrome, it now just comes up with error 329 as usual.

And in FireFox I now get "device detection timed out", which is obviously even worse than it was before, but I guess it might have something to do with using an older version of flash player.

So I'm still stuck!

EDIT: After restarting FireFox I also get 329

Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_A

You will need to have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.287 or above to be able to stream live content on Virgin TV Anywhere. Get the latest version here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Do other browsers work for you using the latest Flash version? 

Note that this thread is just a work around, we still can't fully support Chrome because of the issue with its built-in player.

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Codehook

[ Edited ]

As stated in my original post, I was using Flash 11.5 r502 and tried in on Chrome, Internet Explorer and FireFox (exact versions are also in my first further up the thread ^^). None of them work, with any version of Flash Player that I have tried, which are the latest 11.5 and 11.2 versions.

The latest version of Flash is 11.5.502.146 (11.5 r502), not 11.4.402.287. Are you saying that Virgin TV Anywhere only supports 11.4.402.287? That's a very specific version to be supporting, if so, and anybody who updates will lose their ability to stream so that doesn't seem likely. I can try 11.4.402.287 as a test, but I highly doubt it'll make a difference.

EDIT: As suspected, I tried 11.4.402.287 on Internet Explorer and still the same problem.

Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_A

Hi Codehook,

I'm sorry about the issues you're having here. Could you please also ensure that you have Javascript and Cookies enabled in your browser, and allow anywhere.virginmedia.com as a trusted site in your firewall.

Does that make any difference?

Try reducing your SuperHub's firewall level as well.

Thanks

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Codehook

[ Edited ]

Hey Kieren,

My superhub firewall has always been turned off, I just verified to make sure as well. And I don't run any software firewalls, additionally the only anti-virus I have is Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm also the DMZ on the network, as I like to be able to host game servers and the such like.

Javascript and Cookies are turned on in every browser.

As a test, I also added "http://anywhere.virginmedia.com" to Internet Explorer's trusted sites as well, but as I thought it didn't help.

-----

Anyway I'm an IT programmer so I analysed how the player communicates with your servers, but I can't really work out where the problem occurs (important things are encrypted). However, it errors around the time that it's accessing information about the license from "als3.player.virginmedia.msv.schange.com/flashaccess/license/v3". Three requests are made to this script, and I'm guessing the last request is failing or otherwise invalid...and I presume this is what error code 329 means.

I'm guessing what's happening here seems to be some sort of failure to check my license correctly. Can anybody check that my account is properly configured on VM's side to stream? I have a TiVo box and an XL TV package, so it should be set up correctly but maybe it's not for some reason?

Please use plain text.