Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

virus safe blocks freetelly configuration installer

Freetelly (Kodi -customised) may be an unwelcome competitor but it is 100% legal , and NOT a virus.

Virus safe has no business preventing a configuration script from downloading and installing - but it does.

proven via several tests., virus safe ON - download fails - virus safe OFF -download works

the program installs ok - on either settings, it is just the installation configuration script that is blocked

this story has it almost right

https://www.tvaddons.ag/uk-broadband-users/

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: virus safe blocks freetelly configuration installer

cybmole wrote:

Freetelly (Kodi -customised) may be an unwelcome competitor but it is 100% legal , and NOT a virus.

Virus safe has no business preventing a configuration script from downloading and installing - but it does.

proven via several tests., virus safe ON - download fails - virus safe OFF -download works

the program installs ok - on either settings, it is just the installation configuration script that is blocked

this story has it almost right

https://www.tvaddons.ag/uk-broadband-users/

While Kodi boxes themselves are certainly legal, some 3rd. party software add-ons that provide access to subscription channels or pirated materials may not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37508235

Also see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/13/legalities_of_streamed_video_in_europe/

In any event, ISP blocking of sites which are legal is reprehensible. As you have already noted, turn off any ISP filtering on your connection and use your own solutions instead.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: virus safe blocks freetelly configuration installer

you & the BBC also have it only "almost right"

there are only 2 aspects that are illegal

1. broadcasting  pirate streams

2. selling , i.e. taking payment for, setting up kodi addons. like the fully loaded fire tv sticks on ebay.

it is legal to host or write a web site explaining how to install add-ons, so long as you are not charging for the info

kodi itself is open source software. any one can edit, compile, give away for free., print the source code... no restrictions

The strange think about freetelly install is that I'd installed it OK on one pC a few weeks ago.  & all that changed since them was my hub got swapped out.

I wonder if a new hub causes virus safe to get turned back on ( though to be honest I don't recall ever turning it off on the old one - unless that was so long ago that I'd forgotten about it ). So I tried multiple other fixes: change directory, uninstall completely with revo, run as admin.. before finding that virus safe was the culprit.

the actual blocked download is I think (without opening the bonnet) just a zip file which contains a config script., and it downloads form the same tvaddons.ag domain as the main program. That domain is not blocked, because the program re-downloaded OK before i disabled virus safe. strange that it allowed the .exe but did not like the .zip....

here is the blurb if anyone wants to explore further

FreeTelly App Launch: Get Your Popcorn Ready!

By TV ADDONS Staff | July 7, 2016

The wait is over! After months of development, we’re pleased to finally announce the release of FreeTelly for both Mac and Windows! You can now easily watch nearly anything that’s available online (and that’s a lot of content) through FreeTelly’s nifty interface, no more popups or annoying ads to deal with ever! FreeTelly is essentially a custom version of Kodi that comes preconfigured with all the best addons and customizations, making it the perfect tool for watching all your favourite streaming content.

0 Kudos