Menu
nofunnelly
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

hub 3.0 mac filtering

Have used mac filtering very successfully on old superhub 1 for cutting the childrens' internet access at bedtime and throughout the night.
Asked for new hub 3.0 as I thought it would improve connectivity and flexibility of service.
I've tried to apply a timed rule in mac filtering but it just blocks the device ALL the time. Please advise how to use the time rule.
Also, I've just read in another post that someone found their mac filtering didn't cut off an existing connection, only new connections. That was on his new superhub 2; has this family unfriendly behaviour been corrected?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: hub 3.0 mac filtering

hiya @nofunnelly if you could take a look at -> http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/td-p/3138...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
nofunnelly
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: hub 3.0 mac filtering

Hi paultechy, no I'm afraid I can't get that to work either.

I can't get past the ip address setting stage.  I started with "Add reserved address rule" on the DHCP page.  Selected the first MAC address I want to filter out and gave it a set IP address.  Rebooted the device to be filtered and it won't reset to the reserved ip address.

Do I need to disable the DHCP so that fixed IP addresses are set for ALL devices?  In which case I not only need to set an IP address for the devices to be filtered, but for all devices on the network, whether they will be filtered or not?

This whole process was made even more difficult by the very slow response time of the Hub 3.0 interface. Every time I needed to view a device list or refresh it, it takes at least a minute or two to reload.

The device naming tool on the Home page is also broken; I rename devices to something human friendly and its forgotten 5 minutes later.

0 Kudos