Menu
Stuj
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

blocking access to certain websites at certain times

Now I know I can block access to certain websites ALL the time thru advanced options in the SuperHub router.

And I know I can block access to the network for a particular MAC addresses at specific times 

But how can I block access to certain websites at certain times for a MAC address?

(I need to stop my son wasting prime homework time on snapchat etc but I can't deny him access to those sites ALL the time) 

I've seen the answer to a similar question 3 years ago was no, but surely things have moved on... ?

Eg I have a SuperHub - is this possible on SuperHub 2, and if so can you get Richard Branson to send me one, please?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
FlashPan
Superfast
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: blocking access to certain websites at certain times

You wont be able to do that with the SH but with dd-wrt (www.dd-wrt.com) you can.

Dd-wrt is an opensource firmware you can install over the top of an original routers firmware/os.  (Not possible with VM kit).

So if you get hold of a compatible router, you can convert that to an access point.  Dd-wrt has1 whole section on access restrictions by day,hour, protocol, site etc. (and a whole lot more you can do with as well....you'll be suprised).

Admitedly dd-wrt can be a little tricky to initially install but once done very easy to uprade later on.

Their is a huge amount of tutorials on the web about installing and setup.  You can pickup a and old router as well for about a tenner.

So if you were to go ahead with this you could in fact run 2 wifi.  1 on the SH which you/adults access with no restrictions and the 2nd the ddwrt version that you son and friends can access which you can control.  

No need to bother with mac addresses as you can set the ddwrt to whomever connects to it is restricted....eg: a mobile phone you may not be aware off Smiley Happy

I can only end with make sure you read and read instructions and be sure of what you are doing.  If you just bomb in to install you can brick/ruin the router.

Cheers

All Replies
FlashPan
Superfast
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: blocking access to certain websites at certain times

You wont be able to do that with the SH but with dd-wrt (www.dd-wrt.com) you can.

Dd-wrt is an opensource firmware you can install over the top of an original routers firmware/os.  (Not possible with VM kit).

So if you get hold of a compatible router, you can convert that to an access point.  Dd-wrt has1 whole section on access restrictions by day,hour, protocol, site etc. (and a whole lot more you can do with as well....you'll be suprised).

Admitedly dd-wrt can be a little tricky to initially install but once done very easy to uprade later on.

Their is a huge amount of tutorials on the web about installing and setup.  You can pickup a and old router as well for about a tenner.

So if you were to go ahead with this you could in fact run 2 wifi.  1 on the SH which you/adults access with no restrictions and the 2nd the ddwrt version that you son and friends can access which you can control.  

No need to bother with mac addresses as you can set the ddwrt to whomever connects to it is restricted....eg: a mobile phone you may not be aware off Smiley Happy

I can only end with make sure you read and read instructions and be sure of what you are doing.  If you just bomb in to install you can brick/ruin the router.

Cheers