Menu
Plank102
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Web safe bypassed by app

I have enabled web safe to stop social media sites but my son has accessed a social media site using a downloaded app, can this be blocked and can social media sites still be accessed when using proxy servers?
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web safe bypassed by app

If by social media sites you mean facebook and the like? I would think web safe allows them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Which Social Media app is it? If it's fairly new then it might not be in the category yet

If you know of the specific site or service, you could try adding the site to the block list manually within the Child Safe settings.

You can also report a site that you expect to be blocked within the Web Safe control site, so that it can reviewed and added to category if required.

Unfortunately altough Web Safe can cover most sites and services, it will always be possible to bypass it with enough technical knowledge.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Proxies, VPNs or even just changing a device's DNS to something other than VM DNS will bypass websafe completely. It operates at the DNS level through VM's DNS only. One could even setup a hotspot on their phone and connect other devices to it, to bypass it. So it will only provide limited protection if you have someone living with you who is more techie minded.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Plank102
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. It's amazing the information kids get hold of on search engines, guess I'll just shut the router off instead.
0 Kudos