Menu
pistakulfi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Web Safe - Admin Override?

Hi Guys

Just activated some settings on the online Web Safe regarding Child Safety.

If I block for example gaming and social media, is there an "admin" account i can use to override this and still access gaming content?  My aim is to block a set criteria on my home network but authorised users can view all content?

Or would it better for me to install a standalone firewall (Router <> Firewall <> Home Network) and then setup content filtering and user authentication?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web Safe - Admin Override?

The second option (separate router) will give you a lot more control. Websafe is OFF or ON. And its trivial to bypass.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

.... Websafe ... trivial to bypass.

true that, but are we allowed to tell him how or does he need to ask Uncle Google ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

Kippies wrote:

.... Websafe ... trivial to bypass.

true that, but are we allowed to tell him how or does he need to ask Uncle Google ?

Theres no bar on telling people how AFAIK,  I was more driving at likely the kids could bypass it - I take it you are thinking of OP using a workaround on THEIR system? Could work.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

yep, one pc could be set up to bypass websafe.

OR I recall having a freeware DNS changer utility one time, that could switch the network config for you with just one click. you then hide the shortcut to that or have it appear only one one user's desktop... google dns changer freeware, but as with any freeware be careful what download buttons you click and scan any download for malware before using it.

0 Kudos
pistakulfi
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the input Guys

As with modern age, our house is filled with wireless devices and only 1 PC.  Ideally I would need this functionality where I have a admin user account to allow all content to be used on any type of device.  Thinking about it I feel its better to get a firewall.

Any recommendations on what type I should go for and works well with Virgin Media?  The VM Hub will remain as my router

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if you keep the virgin hub as your router, then  websafe is either ON - for everything & everyone, or OFF - for everything and everyone - there is no fine tuning except by changing device settings in specific devices.

you can of course keep toggling it ON and OFF globally, but that is not secure, anyone with the URL can also do it i think. and while it is OFF for you to game, it is OFF for all other devices in use.

I don't see how a firewall can help you with any of that.  and anyway you cannot add a custom firewall to a VM hub, all you can use is the very basic built in firewall, which is VERY basic.

A 3rd party router , with the hub in modem mode, would give you more control options.

so would products like K9, which you have to install on each device. there is no way that kids can remove or bypass that, without the master password..http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

K9 Web Protection is a free Internet filter and parental control software for your home Windows or Mac computer. K9 puts YOU in control of the Internet so you can protect your kids.

It works on tablets and smartphones also. so long as you only give the master password to your " authorised users" then only they can bypass the filters. but if your kids find or guess the password then it's game over.

0 Kudos