Menu
radiant_radish
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Virus Safe - How to switch off

So, made the mistake of going to My Virgin Media site (haven't visited for some time) and was forced to go to the Web "Safe" page. Virus Safe was ON by default so I selected OFF but each time I go back it's flipped back to ON! Any clues as to how I can switch this service OFF permanently?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virus Safe - How to switch off

radiant_radish wrote:

So, made the mistake of going to My Virgin Media site (haven't visited for some time) and was forced to go to the Web "Safe" page. Virus Safe was ON by default so I selected OFF but each time I go back it's flipped back to ON! Any clues as to how I can switch this service OFF permanently?

When you put it to off, does a rounded yellow box appear above the virus safe box, which says something like "You've switched Virus Safe mode OFF"?

If you aren't seeing the yellow box appear above after turning it off, the web browser you're using won't/isn't running the scripting on the page properly and therein it won't be turning off Virus Safe.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
radiant_radish
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Yes I get the message in a yellow box - whenever I leave the page then go back it's flipped back to ON. I'm using the latest version of Firefox on Windows 7. I really objected being forced onto this page in the first instance. I've been on the web since 1994 and never had any virus issues - I don't need/want Virgin Media forcing their half-baked solutions onto me!

0 Kudos
radiant_radish
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

So, I tried Chrome and it works!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

radiant_radish wrote:

So, I tried Chrome and it works!

Problem solved? Excellent Cat Happy

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
radiant_radish
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, there is a JavaScript error on the page when using FF, not so with Chrome.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

congratulations.

let us all know when you catch your first drive-by virus, then we can all say "serves you right"., OR when your bank accounts get emptied because you inadvertently installed a key-logger & silenrtly uploaded all of your passwords to some russian mafiya crew.

what kind of fool wants the freedom to go to virus infested web pages ? ( other than a professional AV tester) 

I suppose you'd also like VM to turn off the virus / malware scans of your email also, so you can catch a nice dose of ransom ware?

(take a look in your  spam bin next time you access your VM web mail,If your Bin is anything like mine you'd be amazed at/disgusted by the crap they filter out, so that you don't have to.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft Security Blog

What You Should Know About Drive-By Download Attacks

[MOD EDIT:]

http://blogs.technet.com/b/security/archive/2011/12/08/what-you-should-know-about-drive-by-download-...

"A drive-by download site is a website that hosts one or more exploits that target specific vulnerabilities in web browsers, and browser add-ons. Malware distributors use various techniques to attempt to direct Internet users to Web sites that have been compromised or are intentionally hosting hostile code. Users with vulnerable computers can be secretly infected with malware simply by visiting such a website, even without attempting to download anything themselves."

0 Kudos
radiant_radish
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the rant - hope you feel better/superior now.

As I stated before, I've managed perfectly well to stay 'safe' until now - I take responsibility for my own actions.

Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

congratulations.

let us all know when you catch your first drive-by virus, then we can all say "serves you right"., OR when your bank accounts get emptied because you inadvertently installed a key-logger & silenrtly uploaded all of your passwords to some russian mafiya crew.

what kind of fool wants the freedom to go to virus infested web pages ? ( other than a professional AV tester) 

I suppose you'd also like VM to turn off the virus / malware scans of your email also, so you can catch a nice dose of ransom ware?

(take a look in your  spam bin next time you access your VM web mail,If your Bin is anything like mine you'd be amazed at/disgusted by the crap they filter out, so that you don't have to.

I have to check my spam folder every day to read all the e-mails that have been misclassified, think I get an average of about 2 e-mails a day appearing in my spam folder with about half of them not actually being spam. It also lets through at least as many dodgy e-mails as it catches.

0 Kudos