Menu
Crazytownuk
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VPN making child safe ineffective

I have been informed that if someone uses a VPN connection on my broadband that any child safe settings are ineffective. Is this correct?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN making child safe ineffective

Corrent but using a vpn will bypass most filtering. if you ahve children that know how to use a vpn when they know how to get around filtering like childsafe
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Crazytownuk wrote:

I have been informed that if someone uses a VPN connection on my broadband that any child safe settings are ineffective. Is this correct?

WebSafe is only a basic offering, you don't even have to go the lengths of getting a VPN client installed then finding provider service for it to connect it to. Just change the DNS on a device and voila, no WebSafe limitations.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
flemingianr
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

is it possible to lock down user permissions to stop vpn use or changing dns if so how
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

in a windows PC yes, restrict users to a standard user account and password protect the admin account for your own use only. I am pretty sure that locks users out of changing network properties. it also has strong anti-malware benefits

for phones/ tablets- use the equivalent e,g, Kindle free time

PS  open DNS, with customisable family filters  - , is free and far better than child safe

0 Kudos