Menu
MrsEmm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Turn off router if on holiday?

Is it OK to turn off the wireless router for a few weeks when going on holiday?  Trying to cut down on electricity bill!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
zvonok
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Turn off router if on holiday?

Yeah!   I turn off my SH3 every night with no problems,, re-connects every morning within 2 minutes!!   ...ZNNK ...

All Replies
zvonok
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yeah!   I turn off my SH3 every night with no problems,, re-connects every morning within 2 minutes!!   ...ZNNK ...

pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

zvonok wrote:

..and your reasoning for turning it off every night is ?

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes if going away for a few weeks, that's fine.

It's a personal thing, some people switch off every night, but I don't.  My router has been up for over 280 days at the moment Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

UK Power Networks turns mine off for me ... we had another flippin power cut yesterday right in the middle of cooking our dinner!  Barstewards.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The same reasoning that I use for my hoover/tv/printer/laptop/cooker/ .....   I'm not using it for 8+hours ...ZVNK ...

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I left my router on while on holiday so I could access my vpn and visit the sites that China blocks, as well as access webcams etc.

At night I expect my V6 needs it so that it can update..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MrsEmm wrote:

Is it OK to turn off the wireless router for a few weeks when going on holiday?  Trying to cut down on electricity bill!

I always do this when going away & it is never a problem. The only thing that changes is you lose your lease on the IP address you currently use on VM's system. When you switch on again you will acquire a new one, but this can be an issue for some people.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

mikeberg
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Turned mine off for two weeks and it stopped recording series links after about a week? There was no EPG when I switched on either, took a while to download again.

nodrogd wrote:

MrsEmm wrote:

I always do this when going away & it is never a problem. The only thing that changes is you lose your lease on the IP address you currently use on VM's system. When you switch on again you will acquire a new one, but this can be an issue for some people.

0 Kudos