Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10 (188 Views)

Superhub3- Mac filtering- Time of Day

I'm trying to assign MAC filtering to 3 devices. It seems there is only one rule that can be applied to all, not individual TOD rules.

I have set the device correctly and assigned the day/time schedule and applied it. Unfortunately the router does not abide by the assigned schedule and blocks the device permanently. This has worked previously on a hub2 but only with one device/mac. Why can't I assign TOD rules/policies for MAC address filters?

See screenshot below. Its 10am Saturday and the device is still blocked.

macfilter.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10 (171 Views)

Re: Superhub3- Mac filtering- Time of Day

Hello Rohanlon

Interesting, I am sorry you are having problems we are looking into it, please may I ask what your devices are? eg ipad etc?

Thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10 (166 Views)

Hello. The forum team really should know that what the OP is referring to is an old issue and that there is a (somewhat complicated) workaround for it. Asking about devices is completely wasting your customers' time.

The work around is here, and I made some notes on the 2nd page of the thread as well: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/m-p/31388...
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10 (161 Views)

Hello coopso

Thanks for that a useful work around and not in the least bit aggressive. We have noticed with our own testing that for some reason the MAC filtering seems to be working on some devices but not others, we did wonder about different manufactures MAC ranges etc being treated differently and was trying to gather some data for our firmware team.

Thanks again 

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10 (154 Views)

Ha.

I would think the large number of posts on this topic going back months in your forums is ample justification for a blunt message.

A fix is what is really wanted here.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10 (142 Views)

One iPhone, on Hp laptop and one unknowN unrecognised device
0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 10 (136 Views)

they cannot fix it if they don't know the cause, & I think in this case they honestly don't know, still.

for sure they could and should employ more engineers, more QA, and more highly skilled IT guys but that's not good for immediate shareholder profits, so it's not going to happen. Headline speed is where the new customer money is so it matters more to virgin to promote a 300MBs service that surely will not live up to expectations, rather than fix the bugs in what is already out there.

same goes for other services which only work for most of the people most of the time. the unlucky ones get faults that just linger on.....

for me, I just lowered my expectations to "if core broadband works at a decent speed, I'll take that", and get other services from other providers wherever possible. 

if MAC filtering matters, spend £50 on a router that has that built in and working, instead of stressing about why Virgin's kit can't or won't do that for you.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10 (132 Views)

I agree with all that.

In addition, I wish the forum team would post a sticky with an explanation that the feature isn't working and a link to the workaround. Instead of wasting their customers' time.
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10 (77 Views)

ok, thanks folks,

Although not the answer I wanted, it does at least confirm what I suspected - the SuperHub 3 is a piece of unreliable bug ridden junk.

I would also second the request that the Forums have a link to a statement that clearly articulates the proven limitations of the box, and can delete it if they manage to solve with software updates.

Does anyone know who the original manufacturer of this is? I will be sure never to buy anything made by them again.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10 (75 Views)

you miss the point of securing the access at the first hop. A second device can be bypassed easy enough, even with complex lockdown rules set on the superhub, which I would not rely upon

0 Kudos