Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16 (1,410 Views)

Superhub 3 MAC Address filtering

Hiya,

When i first had my new SH3, the MAC address filtering ended up blocking everyone when i tried to set it up for a singe user, and I understand this was a know problem.

However recently i seem to have had an update, and we seem to have moved on a little.

I can now select the mac address i want to filter, however the "rules" seem to be general , not specific to that MAC address.  IE I can setup a range when the internet is inaccessible, but this seems to apply to all MAC addresses, i cant allocate it to a specific one.

Also, even though you set a range of times to restrict access, it seems to stop all MAC addresses that you have added to the list, permanently regardless of the times range set.

That is to say, i added 3 MAC addresses, and set it for them to be restricted from access between 1am and 7am in the morning, however none of the 3 could access the internet at 11pm..... until i deleted them from the rules list.

Is this a viable update or do i need to wait for more?

C

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16 (1,376 Views)

Re: Superhub 3 MAC Address filtering

Hello Cramar

I am sorry you are having problems with the MAC filtering on the hub 3. We like to feed issues like this back to the firmware team but before we do that would it be possible to try a Hub factory reset and if that does not fix it we would like to send you another hub to try.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 16 (1,355 Views)

I am having exactly the same problem.  The Mac filtering is not timeable, it just immediately blocks any device chosen 24/7.  If you try to adjust the timer part once too often (in the same session of adjustment) it closes the whole hub down and it has to be reset to get any internet back for the whole house.  It does not appear to work at all for one of the devices idk why not.- is there some way my tech savvy son can get round it or is it just not working.  I have factory reset the hub on more than one occasion but the problems remain.

Joining in
Message 4 of 16 (1,342 Views)

Hi

I am having the exact same problems with the MAC filtering.

If I add a MAC address with set times to filter it will just completely block internet access. I have tried a full reset of the SH3 several times and not had any luck getting the MAC filtering to work at all.

I find it really frustrating as I want to use it to restrict internet access at certain times for my children, but at present I have to add the device to the list and then delete to allow access.

I also find the hub interface really slow to load and make changes. Are there any work arounds or advice any one can offer please.

Thanks

David

Superuser
Message 5 of 16 (1,329 Views)

FWIW I've been testing the SH3 since Sept 2015 and so far I've not successfully managed to get MAC address working successfully/consistently on any of the (previous/current) f/w versions! Smiley Sad.

Only recently last year (since V9.01.116V firmware has finished rolling out to all areas) have I now been able to perform a hard FR without risk loosing NMS (Trial}) pushed firmware.

Not only can I reproduce the "Advanced Setting > Security > MAC filter" error/disfunction described by OP but also (I suspect related) then "Advanced Setting > Wireless > Security > Wireless Filter List" duplicates several mac entries with "Steerlist ...... Invalid Value" on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz sections of the list. Further more repeatedly deleting these "steerlist" entries during the 10min LAN lease time I've set will sporadically force a momentary w/less disco. This happens on Wireless Filter List scenario even with "Wireless Mac Filtering" set as "Disable".

Might be worth others checking if they're also getting "Steerlist" errors/duplicates perhaps and if a hardware replacement actually fixes this?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 16 (1,240 Views)

I've had the same problem using a (venerable) Superhub 2. FWIW, if you've locked yourself out of the internet by attempting to use the MAC filter function, you can 'fix' the problem with a factory reset of the MAC Filter only (Advance Settings - MAC Filtering, button at bottom of page). That at least saves having to re-enter passwords etc.

This problem is presumbably a firmware update glitch. When will a patch be forthcoming? I rely on MAC filtering to control the kids' internet usage but, obviously, this is not possible at the moment.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 16 (1,230 Views)

[ Edited ]

soluna wrote:

I've had the same problem using a (venerable) Superhub 2. .......This problem is presumbably a firmware update glitch. When will a patch be forthcoming? I rely on MAC filtering to control the kids' internet usage but, obviously, this is not possible at the moment.

Well AFAIK then SH2/VMDG485 (circa early 2013 Trial/late 4Q13 Release) has now exited the "refurb" window which normally means no more functional f/w fixes except Security.   The SH2AC/VMDG490 (circa late 2014 Trial/Release) may stand a better chance but frankly I doubt it as the SH3 (late 2015) still has "firmware glitches" after the last f/w 9.1 .116V in July2016 to year end/Jan 2017 rollout completion!

I suggest to avoid "muddying-the-waters" here that you clarify SH2  model + firmware version and elaborate exact devices listed in a separate thread and some of us which still have access to all the Hubs can probably retest/recreate/advise/suggest et al...?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16 (1,214 Views)

Hi Nicola,

Just to update - ive tried a factory reset several times, and the same issue exists.

I tried it last night, and any MAC addresses i added to be "filtered" were locked out immediately, regardless of what time setting i had chosen.

Also, if it worked, it looks like you have to have the same time restriction across the board, not per MAC address, as was possible with the previous Hub.

Have there been any progress on this issue?

Regards

C

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 16 (1,180 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Cramar, 

Thanks for coming back to us to let us know that you've tried factory resetting your Hub but hasn't resolved your issues, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here for you and everything looks great no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

In light of this, I would like to arrange for a replacement Hub to sent out for you to see if that makes a difference. I will need to confirm a few details with you before I get this sent out to you. I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Joining in
Message 10 of 16 (870 Views)

Hi All,

I have the same problem!

The only reason why I upgraded my router to Hub 3 with Virgin media was because I  thought that the MAC filtering capability will at least be the same as Hub 2 or even better so I can control each device on the Wi-Fi.

This is very crucial for me and as a results now that I know this is a major problem and Virgin media appear not to do anything about it I have to take a serious decision urgently. Hub 2 appear to be much easier to use. I could even block or control access to specific web sites. Now it is complex and unstable in Hub 3. This is a very serious matter.

Best regards,

John