Menu
Nixxx
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2ac no parental controls or am I missing something?

I have been using parental controls to block specific domains on my old hub.  Was recently upgraded to the Superhub 2ac and this facility seems to have disappeared from Advanced Settings.  Has it been removed for some reason?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2ac no parental controls or am I missing something?

Nixxx wrote:

I have been using parental controls to block specific domains on my old hub.  Was recently upgraded to the Superhub 2ac and this facility seems to have disappeared from Advanced Settings.  Has it been removed for some reason?

It was removed from the Superhub 2 and is also not in the Superhub 2 AC as you noticed. It only blocked http connections, which is helpful. But with more mainstream websites going 100% https it serves/served less purpose.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Nixxx
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's so unhelpful from Virgin - why remove useful functionality (which in our case definitely was serving a purpose)?  What are others doing instead?  I need to apply parental controls across all broadband, not by loading software onto each device.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nixxx wrote:

That's so unhelpful from Virgin - why remove useful functionality (which in our case definitely was serving a purpose)?  What are others doing instead?  I need to apply parental controls across all broadband, not by loading software onto each device.

VM now offer the websafe feature (click) which blocks non-childsafe content and possible virus content across all devices connected to your hub. However, which exact categories it blocks cannot be customized and doesn't give you custom domain blocking options either. I never saw a domain block option in the BT Home hub 4 when I had one (it had next to no configurable options) and when I was tweaking the Sky hub at a relative's place I didn't notice a domain blocking option, then again I may have missed it.

If you want this kind of feature back you could get yourself a 3rd party router which has this (feature.) Run your Superhub in modem mode (click) with the router attached to it. Oh and before you maybe ask me about which router to pick, I'm not the kind of person you would want to ask which router to choose feature or price wise, as I usually stick to ISP provided gear. Sorry.

Edit: The users in the 'wireless and networking' section of this community: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/bd-p/Wireless would be able to answer that kind of query though.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Nixxx
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As you say, the thing with the Virgin version is that there is no facility to tweak it (and it certainly isn't comprehensive).  Thanks for the response anyway - at least I can stop wasting my time.  Still can't get my head around the fact that they have actually removed functionality though!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nixxx wrote:

As you say, the thing with the Virgin version is that there is no facility to tweak it (and it certainly isn't comprehensive).  Thanks for the response anyway - at least I can stop wasting my time.  Still can't get my head around the fact that they have actually removed functionality though!

It's not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last time either, take the basic Superhub 2 for example. It has the option to dim the brightness of the LEDs on the front of the hub. That feature was removed from the Superhub 2 AC much to the annoyance of some people. Now those people annoyed by that put small bits of black masking tape over some of the LEDs in the absence of the LED dimming option.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
BexTech
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the world of Virgin Media, where they get a product and find ways to cripple it / make it worse.

Think their aim is to simply annoy customers.

0 Kudos
Click4
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

One reason these features was removed was because people found a crafty way of abusing it to fix their YouTube buffering problem.

You could block domains, and people was blocking the VM cache server.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Click4 wrote:
One reason these features was removed was because people found a crafty way of abusing it to fix their YouTube buffering problem.

You could block domains, and people was blocking the VM cache server.

Not it was not removed for that. there are MANY easier ways to get around VMs YT cache server though I will not discuss them here.AFAIK Domain Blocking has only ever been in the Superhub 1 firmware and i believe is still there.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos