Menu
Foz2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 and parental control - limiting internet by device

Looking to improve parental controls on Super Hub 3.0. The MAC Filters are clunky and don't work when trying to limit internet access by device by time (e.g. kids phones off overnight). I had the same problem with Super Hub 2.0. Looking at using Super Hub in modem mode and getting a reasonable cost effective router such as Linksys EA6350. Is it easy to set up as I am not techie, and is it going to work!? I would really appreciate some advice if anyone has experienced this or can recommend a user friendly solution?  Many Thanks, Foz

0 Kudos
mildenhall
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 and parental control - limiting internet by device

Dunno about the router than you mentions., however most routers allow you to point them an pretty much any DNS you want.

Go to opendns.com, set up an account, configure it to your blocking / parental control needs, and then point your router and the opendns.com DNSs. It's all free by the way.

Netgear use opendns.com for all their router level parental controls.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Maybe mistaken but OpenDNS (and similar services) do not provide device specific parental control.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Foz2 wrote:

Looking to improve parental controls on Super Hub 3.0. The MAC Filters are clunky and don't work when trying to limit internet access by device by time (e.g. kids phones off overnight). I had the same problem with Super Hub 2.0. Looking at using Super Hub in modem mode and getting a reasonable cost effective router such as Linksys EA6350. Is it easy to set up as I am not techie, and is it going to work!? I would really appreciate some advice if anyone has experienced this or can recommend a user friendly solution?  Many Thanks, Foz

Take a look at Setting up Parental Controls using the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account (VIDEO), may help in deciding if it is the right device.

0 Kudos
mildenhall
Rising star
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

用心棒 wrote:

Maybe mistaken but OpenDNS (and similar services) do not provide device specific parental control.

The Netgear version of OpenDNS allows timing control. As for the parents - point the device DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 aka Google.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

mildenhall wrote:

用心棒 wrote:

The Netgear version of OpenDNS allows timing control. As for the parents - point the device DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 aka Google.

Yes I was mistaken, Live Parental Control provides the per device control features as stated in the press release  shown below:

“Live Parental Controls” powered by OpenDNS will provide NETGEAR customers more than 50 categories of filterable content to choose from, including “Social Networking,” to easily block sites like Facebook.com, MySpace.com and others; “Gaming,” to restrict access to online gaming Web sites; and more than seven categories of “Adult” content, giving NETGEAR customers the ability to customize access levels to their unique needs. In addition, “Live Parental Controls” gives parents the ability to block access to Web sites based on specific times of day, enabling even finer grain Internet access control.
0 Kudos
Foz2
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou all so much for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it. I have purchased a linksys ea6350 router and managed to set it up so that I can block iPhone internet access at night!
Thanks again.
nigelad
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Foz2. I'm about to get the superhub 3 and planning to do the same as you. How did it work out with SH3 as modem and ea6350? Is it all good?
Thanks for any feedback
Nigel
0 Kudos