Menu
metalireland
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Safe site blocked

Hi guys

I urgently need your assistance. My website, which I believe to be totally safe, is being blocked by WebSafe. 

www.metalireland.com

It passes Norton, AVG and Google Diagnostics for zero malware present, so I really dont understand whats going on. Valued readers are emailing me to tell me they are being blocked by Virgin.

I've sent an email to the websafefeedback address.

Is this something to do with affiliate links? Can you tell me what's going on, and when it is likely to be fixed?

This is most disappointing.

Thanks

MI.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Safe site blocked

it might be becuase someone else using the same server has infected sites, Is the server its hosted on dedicated for you or a shared hosting server
0 Kudos
metalireland
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks apcy - really need this sorted asap. My site is clean. Albeit that I've recently started to use some affiliate linking, but this should not be a cause for any concern. I would like to know specifically what Virgin deem to be wrong, or how such links - and they are few - transgress their standards.

Help, please! As I am losing valuable uptime with this for many users.

FYI, dedicated server.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

have you reported it

If there is a website that you believe is safe, but has been blocked, or there is a site that you believe should be blocked, you can report by emailing websafefeedback@virginmedia.co.uk
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

well let's take a look at your actual content:

you host a site for black metal and ask why it's adjudged not suitable for children. ( which i believe is one of web safe's prime  functions )

edit: but let's be sure, lets; check the definition of the web safe product::

Protecting your family online at home

Web Safe cleverly blocks sites that are fraudulent, contain viruses or aren’t suitable for your family,...

not every parent wants their kids exposed to  Leather Nun, Unmothered DropKnifed Out of Existence. or Six Feet Under., to pick 4 of your home page "features"..

I doubt that any of  those write cheery child-friendly pro-family lyrics

You must know that many Christians ( I am not one) find this material ( music genre: Satanic/ Black metal ) very offensive and hate-filled; they can reasonably expect websafe to protect their pre-teens from it.. And like it or not,the state religion of your country is still Christianity, not Satanism.

You are running an adult site. Websafe is doing what it is designed to do.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If its websafe blocking it, as above that's what it does.

If its F-secure, that's a different thing.

@  metalireland I think you're getting the function of web safe wrong. Its family filtering, not virus/malware scanning specifically (although it will block some of those as well)

0 Kudos
metalireland
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Cymbole - With respect, I think not.

This kind of music is a form of entertainment for a niche audience.

Any average horror movie, for example, is many factors of times "worse", though I would hesitate to even use that word.

Added to the fact that my site is dutifully and constantly moderated to ensure fair play and good content on the forums at all times.

Further, it has been online for fourteen - yes fourteen - years without a single issue such as this at any point in that time.

No, I expect the actual reason is because yesterday I tried to implement a very, very basic set of affiliate links on it for the first time which Virgin's algorithm doesnt like and has penalised me for.

Those are now gone. Yet I still appear to be blocked.

Something I would like Virgin to fix immediately. The Register is full of this kind of thing, and it is absolutely no wonder.

0 Kudos
metalireland
Joining in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Kippies, thanks - the error message Im getting is "its listed as having malicious content".

Which it manifestly doesnt, and which needs addressed at Virgin's soonest convenience.

I am losing traffic and customers over this - it is unacceptable.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Dude I empathise.

I personally see nothing wrong with the content. Some of the language on the Forums is a "little ripe" and probably that alone would earn you a place on the websafe "family unfriendly" lists. But no worse than you can hear in most playgrounds. And in fact the opinions expressed mostly are intelligent and articulate, I would not have an issue with my kids accessing it. But I don't have websafe on.

"Family friendly" is always going to be subjective. And probably on the language used on the forums alone its going to be a "no" if they look at it again.  Remember you are dealing with people who have unilaterally agreed to be censored by someone else... The bars going to be pretty low.

Maybe some mitigation is in order? If you restrict forum viewing to registered accounts it MIGHT fly past the "Web Safe" censor. But as it stands I think you may well be on "a beaten docket"

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Ok. If you have a false positive on malicious content, then complain direct to f secure. I doubt that posting here will sort it. 

Security software, that I use  malwarebytespro , tests for malicious pages and is ok with your site.

I still think it's an adult site, well maybe 15+, but as your issue is Not with websafe, then no sense debating that here.

FYI, I teach guitar and have no problem with metal

it is not my favourite genre but I pay attention only to the guitar work and not the the lyrics content.

But different folks have different sensitivities, I could understand some parents complaining if websafe did not block you.

When I began teaching ,back in dial up days, I had students tell me seriously that they could never use demon internet as the name was satanic. At the time it was the biggest and best dial up. I doubt it still exists.

0 Kudos