Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8 (967 Views)

Restrict internet access for everyone

Hi

Is there a way to block access to the internet for all devices on our network during certain hours?

I know about MAC filtering but this means setting the restrictions for each separate device.

Thanks Chris

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8 (1,796 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by clhoggarth
‎06-03-2017 17:58

Re: Restrict internet access for everyone

clhoggarth wrote:

Hi

Is there a way to block access to the internet for all devices on our network during certain hours?

I know about MAC filtering but this means setting the restrictions for each separate device.

Thanks Chris

On the SuperHiub2 this could be done under Advanced Settings, Security, IP Filtering

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8 (959 Views)

Hi Chris

Ive never found anything in the settings for restricting during different hours. My friend restricted his kids on the internet by using a timer plug so it went off at 8pm. 

Dowie

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8 (948 Views)

If you really want to do that you'd probably have to invest in another router and run the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8 (1,797 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by clhoggarth
‎06-03-2017 17:58

clhoggarth wrote:

Hi

Thanks Chris

On the SuperHiub2 this could be done under Advanced Settings, Security, IP Filtering

Community elder
Message 5 of 8 (927 Views)

用心棒 wrote:

clhoggarth wrote:

Hi

unplug the hub & hide the power supply cable Smiley Happy.     or connect the hub via a timer that plugs into the mains sockets if you want it to turn off / on  by itself.

if you want to make it impossible for others in the house to turn it on then you need a locked door, or to buy your own router with that facility built in

On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8 (921 Views)

I use Kaspersky TS (other suppliers are available) to manage all aspects of connection as I find the MAC filtering in SH3 is poor and the UI needs some 'TLC'.

SafeKids has this feature built in and at 8pm bam, no wi fi for junior.

Shoot if you have any questions...

Regards
Daren, ITsold UK Website Support
Not affiliated with VM just trying to help where I can.
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 7 of 8 (903 Views)

Hi,

Check my post here.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/blocking-access-to-certain-websites-at-cert...

I reckon this is a better solution than mac filtering as you can control access to all devices (even those wifi devices you might not know about)

If you have any wired devices you can block them in the SH, on the ddwrt router you can set a time of access for any/all devices wired or not of when internet is available.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8 (862 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Mr/Ms Well Informed (sorry, the I tried to use the Chinese characters but they weren't allowed)

This looks like the sort of solution I was looking for.  I'm testing it with an IP address range filter from n.n.n.2 to n.n.n.254.  It looks like it should work in principle.

Chris

0 Kudos