Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 7 (117 Views)

Problems With MAC Filtering - Parental Controls

Hello All,

I'm sure I'm not the only parent on here that has a teenager who wants to spend 24/7 gaming online.  I have only been a Virgin Media customer since December and have found the parental controls a lot harder to get to grips with that BT (which I was on previously).

I've worked as an IT Technician for nearly twenty years now so I'm reasonably technical.

What I have found is that when I eventually figured out how to use the MAC filtering (very technical term why not call it parental controls or such?).  It never seems to work properly.

For example, on the few occasions I have had to resort to using it out of sheer desperation to get my little angel to do some homework or something constructive it blocks the Xbox but no the iPhone.  When I then try to remove the block after he has done said homework he still can't connect.  In the end I had to faff around rebooting the wireless router and remove the device from MAC filtering altogether.  After a lot of washing of teeth and pulling of teeth he eventually gets connected but I have to say.  Does it need to be that hard when BT was so easy to block or not block.  Why have Virgin Media made this so arduous for us parents who care enough about our children to not just let them game constantly.

Today I am trying some testing on my own device (Android phone).  Checked the MAC address on the phone, added it to the block list for two hours (10am - 12pm) but it has stayed connected the whole time.

I then tried calling Virgin Tech Support and just keep getting automated services like "running diagnostics on your broadband" "resetting your TV PIN" etc but no opportunity to speak to a Human being.  Then I try to go on to web chat...all the helpers are busy at the moment please try again later.  I will probably be busy carrying on with my life later so not much help there.  I'm seriously considering going back to BT even though the connection was not as good.  

I would be very interested to see what other members of the communist have to say about this.  Apologies for ranting on and thank you for reading if you got this far. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7 (84 Views)

Re: Problems With MAC Filtering - Parental Controls

Hello Meseeks,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I completely understand where you're coming from with this. We have noticed that MAC filtering is intermittent con Hub 3 and we're hoping to have this fixed with the next firmware. Right now I don't have a confirmed fix to offer you, but I do know that some 3rd party routers have parental control options that you might find useful.

Really sorry about this,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 7 (68 Views)

[ Edited ]

Meseeks wrote:

I would be very interested to see what other members of the communist have to say about this.  Apologies for ranting on and thank you for reading if you got this far. Smiley Happy

I wouldn't use Mac filtering on the VM hub's for parental control. It doesn't work well enough as you've found out and is not really designed to be proper parental controls, which is why it's not called that. I'd put the VM hub into modem mode and attach a decent 3rd party router from Asus.

Asus app - see 0:54s for the easy way to turn your child's wifi off and on at the touch of a button:

Also, Asus routers have proper parental controls with Web & App filters, plus time scheduling:

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 7 (62 Views)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 7 (59 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you had a tri-band router, such as the Asus RT-AC3200, you could even dedicate one of the two 5ghz radios to your son's gaming devices and then switch the radio off from the app when you don't want him to have access to it from ANY device.

Just set different passwords for the different wifi network he uses than what you use. Non-gaming devices (if there is such a thing) could still be allowed internet access on a parental controls basis.

Here's an example:

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 7 (52 Views)

If you want to get fancy, you could also use the Asus Firewall to block just the game traffic (games mostly use UDP packets) between certain hours but leave other traffic alone:

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 7 (47 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can block by Service (e.g. games), Keywords (to stop workarounds) and URL's for specific sites..

DD-WRT is basically what Asus use under the hood, but with their own User Interface.

0 Kudos