Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (277 Views)

Mac Filtering on Hub 3.0

Why Why Why, did I come back to VM.  Prior to leaving I could restrict the times the children could go on the internet, quite simple.  Easy thing to do. After having the new Hub 3.0 for just 2 days, (7 days without service I may add!) I set about applying Mac filtering for all their devices.  Waste of time doing that for each day and weekends as it doesn't work. It blocks them out all together giving them no access. I should've read the forums about this prior to wasting my time.

Also I rang VM, they say it is not something they support, and put me through to their Gadget something or other team, whom could not understand nor speak English, he said he would ring me back and yes I'm still waiting!!!!

Please VM get this sorted ASAP as it is not protecting families at all.

Also just read about guest's account, thought in the mean time let them go on that till 21:00 but according to other customers it shuts the whole system down.  I'll have to wait and see, and if VM think I'm logging into my Hub each day to alter the guest account date, they can think again.

Anybody each having problems with the Mac Filtering or any ways of getting round it so it works without physically taking devices of teenagers??

Many Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6 (249 Views)

Re: Mac Filtering on Hub 3.0

Hello Ian

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with the MAC filtering however we are not aware of any. Yesterday I tried it on a couple of our test hubs and it seemed to work although always happy to check again. So just to be sure you are saying the device will have access until it is blocked however when it reaches an unblocking time it continues being blocked? I wonder if it is worth trying a factory reset Resetting your Virgin Media Hub and then just trying MAC filtering on a single device please.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Wise owl
Message 3 of 6 (201 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nicola_C wrote:

Hello Ian

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with the MAC filtering however we are not aware of any. Yesterday I tried it on a couple of our test hubs and it seemed to work although always happy to check again. So just to be sure you are saying the device will have access until it is blocked however when it reaches an unblocking time it continues being blocked? I wonder if it is worth trying a factory reset Resetting your Virgin Media Hub and then just trying MAC filtering on a single device please.

Thank you

MAC address filtering is apparently trivial to bypass, and therefore pointless. 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Wifi-intruders/td-p/3312107 post #4. 

MAC address filtering is trivial to bypass.  All I need to do is monitor traffic to see which MAC's are talking with one another, and then spoof one of them.

QED.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Know Nothing.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6 (192 Views)

Hello. The forum team really should know that what the OP is referring to is an old issue and that there is a (somewhat complicated) workaround for it. Asking about factory reset or any other random thought is completely wasting your customers' time.

The work around is here, and I made some notes on the 2nd page of the thread as well: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/m-p/31388...

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6 (170 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nicola C

So as the forum team you are not aware of any issues with Mac Filtering!!!!!!! All you have to do is look at lots of other comments left on there about the same problem.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6 (118 Views)

Hello Ian

Thank you for getting back. I said "we" are not aware of any issues with MAC filtering on the hub 3. Sure there are some forum posts but when I checked we do not have a fault registered for this with the hub3 and the latest firmware, that is what I meant by "we". 

I tried to reproduce it and failed as it worked for me, I spoke to some colleagues in another department and there was speculation it may be device specific. Interesting. I then passed this on to our firmware team for further investigation and in the spirit of the forum, ie people coming together to help get to the bottom of an issue I thought I would ask for some more diagnostics to assist them. 

I appreciate that you may not wish to help and that is fine however to personally attack me because of a problem with a hub perhaps indicates a lack of decency and a loss of perspective. 

Always feel free to constructively criticise anything I or any forum team person posts, that is the nature of the forum, we speculate, we test, we hypothesise, we report, we resolve, bit like science in a way, I do not think anybody on the forum should be afraid to speculate for fear of personal attack. Please refrain from this it is most ungracious.

Thank you

PS currently we are awaiting information from the firmware team in regard to this issue and will post once we know some more.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team