Menu
Compbck
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

K9 Web Control System

I have noticed a lot of posts regarding child safe software and would like to introduce a third-party program that I have used in the commercial world to stop employees stealing data for their own purposes, but it also has a Child Protection side to it, and of course it has a FREE element.

Check out the software at: http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

I would love to hear from anyone who may have also already used it.

We used it in a college I used to provide IT Support to several years ago, and it worked perfectly allowing us to block a wide range of nasty websites using a few mouse clicks, but I suspect the software has been greatly improved since then.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: K9 Web Control System

i have recommended K9 in the past , based on other reviews ( not used it myself) but I notice that google play have pulled the android app - it is no longer in their store. so perhaps all is not well with K9.

and Amazon app store has never offered it either. a solution that no longer works on android devices is not a great family solution ?

we has some discussions in another recent thread as to whether the PC version can be bypassed - search if interested.

0 Kudos
Compbck
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I am currently using the PC version of the software in a number of locations and have had great success, in both detecting suspected fraudulent activity by some employees, and also preventing others from accessing prohibited websites.

No one has yet by-passed the settings, however, the software does need to been monitored for attempts to do so, and my job is to ensure that users do not get access to data or sites that they should not.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

it does look good and hard to crack. but most kids are on phones / tablets, not PCs. so parental controls ineed to work across those devices also

- here is an old-ish review

http://uk.pcmag.com/k9-web-protection-browser-for-android/1794/review/k9-web-protection-browser-for-...

I can't seem to find any recent news on K9 on android

and I rechecked play store for K9 and for K-9 - it's gone. 

there are other related apps from other companies listed e.g. shieldmyteen but then a responsible parent needs to do due diligence on who wrote them, do they work., is my data safe - or find reviews that have done that for you

0 Kudos