Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4 (380 Views)

Indecent images from Google and bing search engines

How do I block indecent images from Google and bing search engines using web safe?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Wise owl
Message 2 of 4 (705 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Phil_turtle
‎15-03-2017 09:35

Re: Indecent images from Google and bing search engines

Phil_turtle wrote:
How do I block indecent images from Google and bing search engines using web safe?

You can't, and web safe won't.

Set your search engines to “safe search” mode: For Google users go to http://www.google.com/familysafety/; Bing users go to http://www.bing.com/preferences.aspx; and if you use other search engines, go to their safety settings and find this feature. 

If you use services like YouTube, be sure you have set the “safe” mode on those platforms as well.

No technical solutions are 100% effective. Education, discussion, parental control and laying down "house rules" are the way forward.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Wise owl
Message 4 of 4 (581 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Phil_turtle
‎17-03-2017 07:23

Phil_turtle wrote:
thanks for quick answer - is there a method to prevent switching off the safe mode on these platforms?

There are methods, but none of them seem to be particularly easy to implement. It's also likely that tech-savvy users will find ways past them.

For Windows systems, using your hosts file, on a per device basis:-

For Bing

To guarantee strict safe search results for a given PC, you can do so by mapping www.bing.com to strict.bing.com. For example, if you’re a parent and want to guarantee safe search results on your child’s PC, this method should work. Only users who are administrators on the PC can undo this change.

To make this change:

1. In Windows, click the Windows key and type “Notepad.”
  2. Right click on Notepad and choose Run as Administrator.
  3. Click Yes when Windows asks if you want this program to make changes.
  4. Open your hosts file. In most Windows installations, this is located at: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
  5. Click the Windows key, type “cmd,” and then hit enter.
  6. Type "ping strict.bing.com" and note the resulting IP. This will look something like this: 204.79.197.220
  7. Create an entry at the end of hosts file that looks like this: 204.79.197.220   www.bing.com
  8. Save the file. Windows will now use strict.bing.com to guarantee strict SafeSearch results on this PC.

If Windows is installed in a different location on your PC, you can find the hosts file by typing the following at the command prompt: cd /d %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc.

For Google

As above, but the hosts entry should be  216.239.38.120     www.google.com  #forcesafesearch

For Youtube

Ping the undernoted and note the IP addresses

Create hosts entries with the IP addresses found, in the format  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    restrict.youtube.com  You can also use restrictmoderate.youtube.com if you prefer.

NB: I do not use safesearch myself, and have no personal knowledge if the above suggestion will actually work!

Other options such as using a different DNS provider such as Open DNS https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/  may allow you more control over what your connection will allow.

Be aware that you cannot change the DNS servers used by your VM provided router, you will need to configure each and every device to use an alternative DNS service.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Wise owl
Message 2 of 4 (706 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Phil_turtle
‎15-03-2017 09:35

Phil_turtle wrote:

You can't, and web safe won't.

Set your search engines to “safe search” mode: For Google users go to http://www.google.com/familysafety/; Bing users go to http://www.bing.com/preferences.aspx; and if you use other search engines, go to their safety settings and find this feature. 

If you use services like YouTube, be sure you have set the “safe” mode on those platforms as well.

No technical solutions are 100% effective. Education, discussion, parental control and laying down "house rules" are the way forward.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.
Joining in
Message 3 of 4 (346 Views)

thanks for quick answer - is there a method to prevent switching off the safe mode on these platforms?
0 Kudos
Wise owl
Message 4 of 4 (582 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Phil_turtle
‎17-03-2017 07:23

Phil_turtle wrote:

There are methods, but none of them seem to be particularly easy to implement. It's also likely that tech-savvy users will find ways past them.

For Windows systems, using your hosts file, on a per device basis:-

For Bing

To guarantee strict safe search results for a given PC, you can do so by mapping www.bing.com to strict.bing.com. For example, if you’re a parent and want to guarantee safe search results on your child’s PC, this method should work. Only users who are administrators on the PC can undo this change.

To make this change:

1. In Windows, click the Windows key and type “Notepad.”
  2. Right click on Notepad and choose Run as Administrator.
  3. Click Yes when Windows asks if you want this program to make changes.
  4. Open your hosts file. In most Windows installations, this is located at: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
  5. Click the Windows key, type “cmd,” and then hit enter.
  6. Type "ping strict.bing.com" and note the resulting IP. This will look something like this: 204.79.197.220
  7. Create an entry at the end of hosts file that looks like this: 204.79.197.220   www.bing.com
  8. Save the file. Windows will now use strict.bing.com to guarantee strict SafeSearch results on this PC.

If Windows is installed in a different location on your PC, you can find the hosts file by typing the following at the command prompt: cd /d %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc.

For Google

As above, but the hosts entry should be  216.239.38.120     www.google.com  #forcesafesearch

For Youtube

Ping the undernoted and note the IP addresses

Create hosts entries with the IP addresses found, in the format  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    restrict.youtube.com  You can also use restrictmoderate.youtube.com if you prefer.

NB: I do not use safesearch myself, and have no personal knowledge if the above suggestion will actually work!

Other options such as using a different DNS provider such as Open DNS https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/  may allow you more control over what your connection will allow.

Be aware that you cannot change the DNS servers used by your VM provided router, you will need to configure each and every device to use an alternative DNS service.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.