Menu
FaxMachine
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 Parental Controls

I have recently upgraded from an earlier Superhub, to the new Hub 3.0. In the original hub there were excellent options for controlling timed access to WiFi, which on searching these forums I could see that lots of parents were utilising. Unfortunately this facility does not appear to be available in v3.0 of the Hub.

My teenage kids accepted (begrudgingly) the timed access previously, now they are able to use the WiFi 24*7 this is having an impact on their education and causing considerable family strife.

Is there a mechanism/forum/process for requesting that Virgin Media reinstate the timed WiFi access?

Alternate option would be to switch to a provider than has better parental controls.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3.0 Parental Controls

There is a suggested work around for the Hub 3.0 from @Shelke here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/m-p/31388...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is a suggested work around for the Hub 3.0 from @Shelke here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/m-p/31388...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

nofunnelly
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone got this alternative method using IP filtering instead of MAC filtering working? Personally, I've tried it and not managed to get this working either.
This problem is NOT SOLVED. Please Virgin, work on this as a matter of importance. There are serious deficiencies in the Hub 3.0 advanced settings interface.
0 Kudos
sarahkay1
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

hiya, what ive resported to doing is setting up a guest network for the teenager here to use.

He does not have the main wifi password, only the guest network password which i can set on a timer to switch off at any given time. The main draw back to this is that i have to set up a new guest network every day rather than have it automatically turn back on again at the time i select. It only takes about 90 seconds but its still a pain in the bum. The range isnt that great either but this forces the teenager out of his bedroom and to be social for at least some of the day, not sure if thats a pro or a con to the guest network route to be fair! 

the main pro points are;

As its not automatically switched on he has to do his chores first and only then will it go on. means hes much more willing to get things in the house done.

it can be turned off on a timer, so i dont have to remember to turn it off at the right time.

when it turns off it doesnt effect my devices which are all linked to the main wifi.

for the sake of an extra 90 seconds or so i dont mind to much, its not perfect but its better than no parental controls at all.

sarah

nunkNunk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried 'wifi blocker' app on Apple Store.
It works great with the hub3. We use it in our house .. you can hear it works with out 13yr old screams when she's blocked lol.
0 Kudos