Menu
lisa_bragg
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How can I limit my son's use of the internet without switching it off (or removing all his devices)

My son is using the internet too much (Xbox, phone, iPod, kindle, etc.)  Is there a way I can get my superhub to allow certain devices on at certain times otherwise we all get limited (including me) when I switch the internet off?  My brother can do this with his Sky broadband - maybe I should switch?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How can I limit my son's use of the internet without switching it off (or removing all his devices)

It is seriously unlikely that you'll get a reply on this thread to which you cross-posted. It's old now and the original poster never responded to my advice and we've not seen him since.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Can-I-set-time-restraints-on-my-Router-like...

The advice I gave should work but it is possible for your son to find a way of circumventing the restrictions.

Others on this Forum have said this one is impossible to get round and it's free.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

But you know that the right advice is that you need to sort this out with your son. Who's in charge here you or your son's use of the net (bluntly)?   Looking for a technological substitute for parental authority is a poor second to regaining your own control of your family's use of the Internet. But, hey, I'm no child psychologist so look at K9.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How can I limit my son's use of the internet without switching it off (or removing all his devices)

It is seriously unlikely that you'll get a reply on this thread to which you cross-posted. It's old now and the original poster never responded to my advice and we've not seen him since.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Can-I-set-time-restraints-on-my-Router-like...

The advice I gave should work but it is possible for your son to find a way of circumventing the restrictions.

Others on this Forum have said this one is impossible to get round and it's free.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

But you know that the right advice is that you need to sort this out with your son. Who's in charge here you or your son's use of the net (bluntly)?   Looking for a technological substitute for parental authority is a poor second to regaining your own control of your family's use of the Internet. But, hey, I'm no child psychologist so look at K9.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
lisa_bragg
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks HowardML, couldn't agree with you more re parenting, this is me setting limits in the modern world of technology which I am not as familiar with as my children!

Will try your advice Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
haydnmaher91
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have a similar problem with my brother , but its regarding xbox only , we have put something called a family timer on , where you can allocate a certain amount of time per day and it is password protected . That could be a option
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It could be one option but a quick Google search reveals a YouTube video on how to break it!

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
haydnmaher91
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hes young so we are safe for a few more years lol
0 Kudos