Menu
cooperman1955
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Holiday Home

I have had Virgin Media (and NTL before them) with 50Mb broadband, Tivo, a mobile and even a 2nd box for the kitchen for 16 years and no BT phone (new build in 2000) ever!

I've just purchased an old bungalow in a non Virgin Media area.

It has an old phone line that has been out of use for a year or so and never had internet etc.

I don't need a BT phone line (just internet) but it seems they have a monopoly.

It seems a little unfair if I have to have a BT line (£17.99 per month) just for a bit of weekend surfing and to link to my Tivo at our main house via "My Virgin Media"

Can I get a deal from VM to have internet there?

Geoff

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Holiday Home

VM offer a mobile WiFi device although shop about, you should be able to get a something to suit your pocket/needs with a mobile provider USB dongle or sim with unlimited or limited usage etc, as long as you get service coverage in the area in question so check first, VM wont cable an area if there's not enough interest from potential customers to rake back the costs of laying it all, if ever line rental charges were dropped in the future they would only incorporate it into the broadband price to compensate no doubt.

All the best Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

All Replies
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM offer a mobile WiFi device although shop about, you should be able to get a something to suit your pocket/needs with a mobile provider USB dongle or sim with unlimited or limited usage etc, as long as you get service coverage in the area in question so check first, VM wont cable an area if there's not enough interest from potential customers to rake back the costs of laying it all, if ever line rental charges were dropped in the future they would only incorporate it into the broadband price to compensate no doubt.

All the best Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cooperman1955
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks
I found that the Post Office offers free installation and reduced line rental plus free for 12 months unlimited internet. So I plumped for that. I can't help feeling that the compulsory telephone line rental is an antiquated system. A mobile dongle should be the best value, but isn't.