Menu
JM47
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Firefox Browser

I have installed a new hard drive on my PC and reinstalled Windows 7 as the operating system. I intended to continue the use of Firefox, but after installing it and conducting my first Google search I get blocked by Virgin Virusafe. If I type in a web address then the website comes up, no problem. I don't understand why Virgin finds a problem with Google in Firefox. Can anyone offer any suggestions?  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Firefox Browser

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

JM47 wrote:

I have installed a new hard drive on my PC and reinstalled Windows 7 as the operating system. I intended to continue the use of Firefox, but after installing it and conducting my first Google search I get blocked by Virgin Virusafe. If I type in a web address then the website comes up, no problem. I don't understand why Virgin finds a problem with Google in Firefox. Can anyone offer any suggestions?  

Websafe (the virus safe component) doesn't do that on the two devices that use Firefox and have set to use websafe+VM DNS. Does it happen for all searches or searches on certain things? Perhaps the way the websites you're trying to reach redirect a in a suspicious/dodgy way.  I know that Google does at least one redirect of its own on all search result clicks (for analytics purposes), but perhaps they've cached some dodgy redirects. Can you share an example search query producing  you used and tell me which website in the result list from Google leads to the problem so I can try to replicate it?

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
JM47
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your interest. I have just retried "gazette live" as a search, which used to bring up Teesside Evening Gazette, "virgin media", "dictionary", "Middlesbrough fc" and lastly "lockwood beck", but all were blocked by virus safe. They all are sites I have used many times before and  were in my favourites before installing the new hard drive. The same searches using Google in IE work fine. The only difference I can see in Firefox is the Google search box now has a different logo next to it and in the address bar there is "www.safesearch.net". There is also a button for "Speed up my PC", but I am not touching that. I have enjoyed using Firefox for many years and would like to continue, but I have the use of IE so all is not lost.

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

First thing I do on any computer in the family - especially one the kids will use - is install Spybot Search & Destroy. It's free and it's effective at stopping adware, hijacks, spamware, trojans, etc. Once my mother had had enough of the 7 or 8 browser toolbars, popups and ads all over pages on her laptop she asked me to sort it out. Spybot soon cleared it up.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
JM47
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestion. I have used Spybot, but unfortunately it hasn't picked up the problem, which appears to be Safe Search which has hijacked Firefox. I now have to find a way to get rid of it, but so far I have nor been able to find it in Control Panel so that I can delete it.

0 Kudos
JM47
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your advice. I shall now find Safe Search and remove it. I did try the free version of Spybot, but it did not identify the problem.

0 Kudos