Menu
Mattlaird
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can I set time restraints on my Router like a BT home hub?

I am trying to restrict the time our Router is on to prevent a teenage son using it all night.  Is there any way to set time limits or be able to programme it to turn off at certain times like a BT home Hub does?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I set time restraints on my Router like a BT home hub?

I think I've found what you need. It is a bit complicated. But have a look at this link to get you started. I'm no expert so if it goes wrong or doesn't quite work how you want wait for others who do know to pass by and help. But you have waited all day for a reply so I thought I'd try to get you started. I am assuming Superhub 2 here.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think I've found what you need. It is a bit complicated. But have a look at this link to get you started. I'm no expert so if it goes wrong or doesn't quite work how you want wait for others who do know to pass by and help. But you have waited all day for a reply so I thought I'd try to get you started. I am assuming Superhub 2 here.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
lisa_bragg
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mattlaird wrote:

I am trying to restrict the time our Router is on to prevent a teenage son using it all night.  Is there any way to set time limits or be able to programme it to turn off at certain times like a BT home Hub does?

Did you try the answer you were given and did it work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
rgbl61
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi - I've looked at my Hub 3.0 settings page, but there doesn't seem to be any way to set a time restriction... I can only switch MAC filtering on or off. Help?! I really want to restrict my son's use of the internet, he'll be on YouTube all night otherwise...

Thanks for any advice!

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

maybe that feature was scrapped in the hub 2 to hub 3 " upgrade"

you could plug the router into a 24 hour clock / timer thingie at the wall, but that will disable everyone as per the clock and is easily overridden unless the hub + clock is in your bedroom or a locked location.

talking it through has to be preferable to brute force solutions

Most devices nowadays have parental control features which may be applicable but if your son is more tech-savvy than you , that will be a losing battle.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

rgbl61 wrote:

Hi - I've looked at my Hub 3.0 settings page, but there doesn't seem to be any way to set a time restriction... I can only switch MAC filtering on or off. Help?! I really want to restrict my son's use of the internet, he'll be on YouTube all night otherwise...

Thanks for any advice!

This is a known issue with the Hub 3.0 (but not any of the previous VM hubs) and the only solutions currently are to ask VM for a Superhub 2AC as the Hub 3.0 is not fit for purpose, or buy a third party router that does support time based filtering.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.